Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch probs i think...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch probs i think...HELP!!!

i read a thread posted by SSmokin99 about a clutch and throwout bearing problem, and i think i might be getting the same thing, but mine has been acting funny for awhile now and i just haven't had the time or money to look into it, but i wanted to ask a few questions first.
It all started on a trip back from the beach one night when i started hearing a rather annoying "chatter" noise. seeing as how i only had about another hour of driving, i figured i'd limp my car home and check it asap. well, the noise kept getting louder and i realized that the noise was in sync with the rpms. i pulled over at a gas station about 30 minutes short of the house and listened under the hood and the body of the car, but i couldn't pinpoint where it was comming from. i turned the car off let it rest, and had a Pepsi and a cigg. got back in and cranked it up and i never heard the noise again. a few weeks ago it started again with the noise. now i'm scared that i may have cause significant damage, and i'm still not sure what the problem is exactly... i'm certain that it's comming from the tranny though. it seems like the clutch just isn't grabbing as well as it should, and even slipping a little.
now all that being said, i think i should mention that i DID put a new clutch kit in about a year and a half ago, but it was OE quality from advance auto. my buddy helped me with the install and he told me he didn't put the new throwout bearing in because he looked it over and it seemed good and a waste of time to replace it. so i'm thinking now that i should've put the new one in??
anyway, the noise i'm hearing, i'll try to describe as best as i can by saying that it's a chatter/ rattle type noise that i only hear well at very low rpm's. usually when i'm sitting still at a red light or idling in the driveway. if i race the motor slightly the noise goes away, but i don't know if thats cause the exhaust gets louder or not...also, when i'm shifting at high rpm's on the freeway, i feel i quick vibration in the shifter **** before i can actully put it in the next highest gear. and when cruising at low rpm's in 6th i hear that chatter/ rattle again when i try to go wide open throttle.
i think i'm in the market for a new clutch, and this time i'm going for an upgrade, but before i make a purchase i want to ask if anyone with any knowledge about my prob thinks i'm making the right one?
i do have a few mods, but nothing really serious yet. SLP long tubes, cold air, p&p throttle boby, and a few other 2 or 3 hp gain mods. is this enough to put a significant amount of strain on an OE clutch to make it go bad so quickly after replacing it less than 2 years ago, or do you think it was the lack of replacing the throwout bearing at the time? PLEASE HELP!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Teching In

anyone????
Old 06-04-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like it very well might be the throwout bearing. Always replace bearings, especially if they come with the part you bought. Thats how important it is, they included it!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:59 PM
wrencher

I would get up under the car & confirm that is where it is coming from.
Then if it is coming from inside the belhousing, its trans pulling time.
You should have replaced the slave & the pilot bearing while you where in there IMO.