Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Whose had good luck with a rebuilt T56?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:09 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whose had good luck with a rebuilt T56?

I first blew my tranny up about 3-4 months ago and was really tight on cash so I bought a bunch of used parts that me and the tranny guy ( great friend of mine ) both knew wern't going to last long, but MIGHT get me a few more months till I could save money up, (it is basicly my only car btw ) and when he put it together he said that he had full confidence in everything but third gear, and then fifth/sixth. When I got the car back the first gear wasn't synchronizing, I drove it around for a week, using only gears 2-6 and R then it got stuck in 4th one day. I had the money to have it done right and I took the tranny out and hauled it to a very reputable shop who rebuilt it, I've got the recite, they replaced:
Input seal 8.45
Rear seal 4.65
3-4 syncro sleeve key 108.00
1-2 syncro sleeve 245.05
rev syncro sleeve 160.55
gear selector sol. 59.15
15% discount -87.85 ( good friends with the guy who owns the shop )
and the total with tax was $942.11 with me taking the tranny out and bringing it to him picking it up and re installing it

Once I got it back in the car would only go into 4th and Reverse, so I took it down to the shop that rebuilt the tranny, and they fixed it for free, they never told me what they did, but it worked 1-6th and reverse worked fine for 3 weeks or so.

Soon enough I noticed that third gear was still acting up every once and a while, grinding going in, popping out ect, and I'm just wondering if this things ever gonna be right? The Reverse lock out system was working for the first week or so of the rebuild, which before then hadn't been working for a long time, but then one day it went back out, I assume the tranny shop replaced the ENG SEN fuse and it just took longer to blown than it usually does. I've talked to a lot of people who are into the local ls1/lt1/car scene and a lot of them seem to have nightmare stories of people with blown t56's never really getting them 100% fixed, seems like I've heard a lot of people say that once they go their never the same, should I consider saving up for a fresh(er, possibly out of a lower mileage lt1 car) t56 or should I keep spending time and money on this one? The work has a warranty on it but I've been way to busy to get down to the shop to talk to them, I'm going to try and call them tomorrow on my break at work... I also put a whole new syncro set in the tranny from t56rebuilds.com...

Lost ( and drunk ) in IL
- Spuds
lol
Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

i just got my car back last thursday and i have know problems whatsoever with it. i have put a couple hundred miles on it and even raced from a roll on it and not a single problem with it. it shifts great never pops out of gear or anything. i dont know what the problem with the car is but i would just keep taking it back and having them fix it. its free so why not that and your good freinds with them. btw i have a 93z with the M29 i believe is which tranny is in mine. it also costed me 1,483.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

SixSpeedsInc just rebuilt mine. It needed the stage 2 rebuild and a new second, fourth, and fifth gear. Along with the rebuild, I put in a new Textralia OZ700 clutch, a new pilot, master, & slave. The car has been driving amazing. I don't have a single complaint. It's only been in for about a week though.

My vote is to ship it to SixSpeedsInc, then replace all the hydraulics. I think you will like it better than or just as much as the day you bought your car(if you bought it new).

Quick Reply: Whose had good luck with a rebuilt T56?