Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6th To 5th

Old 06-05-2007, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6th To 5th

I ran into a problem yesterday when i tried to downshift from 6th to 5th. It is like running into a wall. I tried several times with no luck. I can can get it to downshift by applying pressure and then reving the motor with the clutch pushed in. All other gears are fine even when shifting 4th-5th or even shifting 5th-6th. Synchro? Sixspeedinc rebuilt my trans and i have since put about 5,000 miles on it with no problems until this little pita.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

anyone else have a similar problem before- i just bleed the system with no change. My master cylinder fluid was low and it looks like my slave may be leaking right where the bellhousing bolts to the motor when the little crack is or my rear main is leaking..??
Old 06-05-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

call the place you got the tranny fixed at.. sounds like maybe a shift fork?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a syncro. It's always harder on the syncros to down shift than its to up shift. When up shifting the syncro works sort of like a brake to slow the countershaft down to make a smooth transition but when down shifting the syncro must work very hard to speed the countershaft up.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:59 AM
wrencher

Originally Posted by TransSlam
anyone else have a similar problem before- i just bleed the system with no change. My master cylinder fluid was low and it looks like my slave may be leaking right where the bellhousing bolts to the motor when the little crack is or my rear main is leaking..??
If you are having hydraulic issues that can damage even a newly built trans.
How does the pedal feel? Release low?
You can hurt shift fork pads (if oe plastic) or other hard parts forcing shifts with marginal hydraulics.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

I got a new slave coming in so i am going to try that and see if it fixes it. On the way home yesterday it downshifted from 6th-5th about 4 times then it quit again which leaves me to believe the slave is screwed up. It still is throwing me off as to why it is not acting up in any other position...we'll see. I hope this fixes it, SixSpeed inc did my rebuild, joe and amber know what they are doing over there which makes it hard for me to believe my 5-6 syncro is screwed up especially since i am never hard on my trans past 4th.

Last edited by TransSlam; 06-06-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th To 5th