Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Wierd knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wierd knocking sound

I have a horrible knocking sound coming from what sounds like under the car. Unfortunatly I did not take a video of it before I removed the tranny. The reason I suspected the tranny/clutch was cause I could feel the knock in the clutch pedal.
I was driving home frome work the other day and I started to hear a faint knock at low rpm's I thought that maybe the exhaust was tapping the bottom of the car. then my wife drove the car to work and it got so bad I thought the thing was going to come apart.
So when I drove the car up on the trailor to take it home I threw a small rev (3500-4000 rpm) and the noise went away for a brief second, like it bounced around in the bell housing then got caught back where it was to make the noise.
Well the clutch is removed and I dont see anything out of the normal. All the bolts were still tight and nothing looked bad other than the flywheel (looked like snake skin) which Im sure had nothing to do with my noise. I dont suspect the throw out bearing cause it made the sound at all times, clutch in or out or in nuetral. I guess Im looking for someone to point me in the right direction, have any of you had a similar noise.
Is there a way that I can start the car with no tranny so I can make sure that it is not the motor?
Thanks
Old 06-11-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?