Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Smoothing out shifts/ Synthetic fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoothing out shifts/ Synthetic fluid

I want to make my shifter feel less notchy, and I read on WS6.com that synthetic fluids make shifts much smoother. I believed that guy on that site used Red Line fluids. Does anyone have any before/ after experience with stock fluid to synthetic? Which would you guys recommend? I'm thinking Royal Purple right now, but I'm also considering Red Line, and just about anything else. I want to eliminate or remove the notchy feel. What about shifters themselves? I have a Pro 5.0 short throw shifter. Would the SLP shifter be any better?

Also, any suggestions on differential fluid? I'm trying to make the car as efficient as possible before I start with the bolt ons, so I figure flushing and replacing all of the stock fluids is a good place to start.

Thanks in advance guys
Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed no real difference in shift notchiness between synthetic and regular. I just use the synthetic for the added protection.

I did this comparison within a span of a day as well as I was using the regular stuff to flush out any metallic debris in the fluid.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

What brand did you go with?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I've had good luck with Torco ATF in my T-56, but don't expect it to be butter-smooth at any point. I've never driven a T-56 or MN-12 that shifted smooth like my girlfriend's Toyota Celica.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Well if we're doing comparisons, in it was stock GM Syncromesh, then off the shelf Mister Transmission ATF, then Mobil 1.

I did the same "flush" with Shell ATF then Amsoil.

The transmission feels the same regardless and I recently had it rebuilt with all the regular upgrades, and due to the bronze fork pads, it got even notchier.

I've come to accept that the T-56 will be no fancy butter transmission, but it will hold a hell of a lot more power.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SladeX
I've come to accept that the T-56 will be no fancy butter transmission, but it will hold a hell of a lot more power.
X2.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T-56s are notchy when compared to alot of other manual trans vehicles, it's just the way they are.

As far as fluids, I like Pennzoil synchromesh in the trans, and I just use regular Valvoline 80w90 gear oil in the rear.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Oh well. Thanks guys/ gals
Old 06-11-2007, 02:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
T-56s are notchy when compared to alot of other manual trans vehicles, it's just the way they are.

As far as fluids, I like Pennzoil synchromesh in the trans, and I just use regular Valvoline 80w90 gear oil in the rear.
Where do you get the pennzoil synchromesh at? And to the original poster you have an auburn differential so make sure you use non synthetic in it.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Where do you get the pennzoil synchromesh at? And to the original poster you have an auburn differential so make sure you use non synthetic in it.
I've found most of the Auto Zones I've gone to have had the Pennzoil Synchromesh.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

And to the original poster you have an auburn differential so make sure you use non synthetic in it.
So no to Synthetic in a 10 bolt?

Last edited by JayBirdWs6; 06-11-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Why is that? I was going to put Royal Purple in there. I've spoken to a number of people who have used Royal Purple in their transmission and rear ands and had success with it. Same with Redline. Is it harmful?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Banned

You can use Synthetic in the Auburn with no problems. There are so many rumors about Synthetic. I have Mobil 1 75W-90 in my Auburn rear and its been fine, plus you don't need the limited slip additive when using synthetic gear oil.

Also, its not reccommended to use Synchromesh in the T56. The transmission is not designed for synchromesh, its designed for ATF. Its stamped right on the side of the case, "ATF only". Amber from T56Rebuilds says they only use ATF in their transmissions, even after a full rebuild. They've found it works best, which makes sense considering the trans was originally designed for that fluid.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
You can use Synthetic in the Auburn with no problems. There are so many rumors about Synthetic. I have Mobil 1 75W-90 in my Auburn rear and its been fine, plus you don't need the limited slip additive when using synthetic gear oil.
Thats what I just put in my rear yesterday Mobil 1 75w90 but I didnt know you didnt need the additive when using syn. Oop's!, I dont think it will hurt anything though.

Question:
First time doing my own T56 Transmission fluid change. How do you refill your transmission?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JayBirdWs6
Thats what I just put in my rear yesterday Mobil 1 75w90 but I didnt know you didnt need the additive when using syn. Oop's!, I dont think it will hurt anything though.
It won't hurt anything.

Question:
First time doing my own T56 Transmission fluid change. How do you refill your transmission?
There is a fill plug on the side of the transmission. I believe it is on the drivers side of the trans. Just take it out with a 3/8 drive ratchet, and use a fluid pump to refill it with ATF. You can get one at WalMart for about $7, its just a hand opertated pump with a tube on each side, one is suction one is fill.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

It won't hurt anything.

There is a fill plug on the side of the transmission. I believe it is on the drivers side of the trans. Just take it out with a 3/8 drive ratchet, and use a fluid pump to refill it with ATF. You can get one at WalMart for about $7, its just a hand opertated pump with a tube on each side, one is suction one is fill.
alright thank you man
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I've found most of the Auto Zones I've gone to have had the Pennzoil Synchromesh.
Same here.

Also, its not reccommended to use Synchromesh in the T56. The transmission is not designed for synchromesh, its designed for ATF. Its stamped right on the side of the case, "ATF only". Amber from T56Rebuilds says they only use ATF in their transmissions, even after a full rebuild. They've found it works best, which makes sense considering the trans was originally designed for that fluid.
Well that may be what your hearing now, but, it wasn't what Joe told me when I asked what he would suggest using. In March of 06, he recommended I use Pennzoil Synchromesh, or Royal Purple Synchromax. I've had great results with the Pennzoil, and will continue to use it.

Originally Posted by JayBirdWs6
You can use a long tube and snake it through the engine bay and down to the fill hole, remove the shifter and pour it in there, or as aforementioned, buy a pump.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

take off shifter and console and fill it through the top. that is the easiest way to get the fluid in without spilling any.

Quick Reply: Smoothing out shifts/ Synthetic fluid