Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Rebuild ? (tailhousing)

Old 06-19-2007, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Rebuild ? (tailhousing)

I have two problems with my Tailhousing.

1. I can not seem to get a new mainshaft bushing to press in without it bending upwards into the oil galley a tad. This prevents the driveshaft from freely sliding in. It must be binding it up just enough. I have tried 3 time. Twice with my bench press and a third with a seal driver and hammer. I have tried both the stock replacement and the Rockland Standard Gear "long" version. Both do the same.

2. Does the reverse idler gear have two thrust washers on either side of it like the rebuild manual shows? Their is no room for even one. If I leave both off then the plate will bolt on. Are they required?

Any advice? It suxs to be this close to finishing my t56 swap and getting stuck now.

Last edited by PoorMan; 06-19-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my idler gear out and found a washer on each side. Just one on each side though. It appears they do spin so it's probably a good thing to have them in there to keep the gear or shaft from wearing the case.

I did notice that when I was putting the shaft back in that the idler gear sits on that I didn't get it full seated the first time.

I also noticed that the idler gear wouldn't seat fully down unless the funnel is fulley seated along with the spacers/bearings above it.

Maybe one of these things is keeping it from sitting down far enough that the spacers will be needed.

Did you figure out what is going on with the rear mainshaft bearing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T56 Rebuild ? (tailhousing)