Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec Stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spec Stage 2

I have spoken with the guys at Spec and it seems that this may be the option for me after my Stage 3 went. Being a full kevlar disc, it sounds like it lasts longer than the other Spec options, and since I am making only around 375-380 rwtq (perhaps a little more after a better cam swap, maybe ~400 at most), I am guessing street-wise it will be a good clutch to go with.

After reading a recent post on "Clutch Problems", I acknowledge that my driving habits/abilities may have contributed to the premature Stage 3 slipping, so I will now be focusing on that and working on not riding the clutch and slipping it as little as possible, plus working on rev matching for downshifting.

But, the search function has not been working for me all day, so I was wondering if anyone has any input or experience with a similarly powered car at the track. I launch around 4500-5000 RPM at the track (12-bolt, 3.5" driveshaft, etc, so no worries there) and tend to go on rental days when I get in 10-15 runs within a 5-6 hour period. The Stage 3 held up great the last two times I went, but I am worried about the Stage 2 not holding up to these kinds of launches. I don't know how the rating relates to launches as opposed to just normal driving/street racing.

Any input would be appreciated!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swap in an auto its cheaper and you'll have less problems theres my advice for the day after all the **** with my car go with the Auto

Last edited by 71velle; 06-19-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Many who "hobby" drag race run automatics to get consistent ET and 60-foot times. In the long run, for dragging, auto is the way to go.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

yeah but i just like to bitch so anything i said there was more a less a rant
Old 06-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Internet Mechanic

A auto is not an option for him, he is not going to swap one in, so stick to the question.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spec 3+
Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 PM
01z
TECH Regular

i have a ram hd and its so far so good lol
Old 06-20-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

No way I'm switching to an auto. I'm willing to sacrifice consistency and lower ETs for the fun of shifting through gears like a man... . At my power level, just pushing a stick forward with my right foot slammed full throttle on the gas doesn't do it for me like shifting with a clutch and a real shifter. It adds a whole other challenge to drag racing and provides another area to work towards improvement, which is what really draws me to the sport. I like to work towards improvement. At my power level, an auto car can get pretty boring when it becomes too consistent.

Chef, my brother bought the Stage 3+ when his 3 went and he has had no problems so far, but the material on the 3+ is a metallic material, as opposed to the kevlar of the Stage 2, and according to the guys at Spec, it will not last as long in the long run even if driven properly. Not to mention the fact that it is extreme overkill clamp pressure-wise and price-wise for my situation. At MOST, I will be pushing about 400 rwtq in the fairly-near future with a better cam, but that's still well under the limits of the Stage 2.

Really, what I am asking is has anyone had any kind of track experience with the Stage 2, any power level, any racing type, just looking for any experiences at all. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

t t t
Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

same situation as you and considering the spec 2+ over the 3+ just because it will be a daily driver. My set up should make 410-420 rwhp plus 100 dry shot through an M6 and 12 bolt 3.73 gears and MT drags.

I'm leaning towards the 3+ but will only see the track occasionally (once a month) and a lot of LA city driving. do you guys think the 2+ will hold both at the track and daily driving?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Joe it depends on how much you plan on racing the car, and like you said the driving habits. If you can stop riding the clutch out, you'll probably be fine with w 3+ and it will last for a long time. when it comes to holding power, I'd always reccommend going overkill in that department rather then cutting it close, you never know if ya might get hte itch to toss a dry kit on the car and try to make an attempt at an 11 second pass... so that being said I'd seriously try to go overkill rather then get what the bare minimum is.

As for the auto comment... try driving one with a big loose converter, or get a ride in one. When you see how that hits, you'll think twice about losing the fun factor, plus the consistancey for bracket racing, which if ya wanted to go an actual race day is about all ya really can hope to do, makes for a TON better experience. I know you're not gonna swap one in, but I would keep it as a possibility on the back burner. I don't regret swapping one in my car one single bit.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 3+ is fine for a daily driver there is no chatter and it holds great at the track, and if your going to the track 3+ is where you need to be you will kill a spec 2 at the track
Old 06-21-2007, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Pewter, You have to make a dicision based on your plans and overall goals for the car. We have tons of folks that run Stage 2 and 2+ on cars that see some track time. Though it may be blasphemous for me to say this here...The guys at Roush use our 2+ kits on the Drag-Pack cars and love it. They have tons of runs on their development vehicle with not so much as a hiccup.

As a side note, the 3+ is also a fantastic clutch too. It has a greater torque capacity and holds up well over time too. We have lots of folks with lots of miles on stage 3+'s and I know I beat the crap out of mine too with no issues.

Ultimately you could go either way...whether you have a 2, 2+, or 3+ the more you slip it or ride it the shorter the life will be. Treat it right though and it will treat you the same way. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Ordered the Stage 2. Few people seem to give it a shot, so I figured what the hell. It was $389 shipped, so if it doesn't hold, I'll upgrade to a 2+, not a huge loss money-wise. I am really just curious as to how accurate these torque ratings are. The 2 may not be "overkill", but it should still be a good 50+ foot pounds over what I MAY have anytime soon (figuring a 15% drivetrain loss based on my pre-12bolt/heavy driveshaft dyno numbers). The tech I spoke with at Spec said it doesn't like hotlapping too much, but the only time that happens is if I go to a rental day (few and far between), and even at those I can hold off between passes and still get a ton in by the end of the day.

JL - Haha, I figured you might respond to the auto comment. I threw that in for the fun of seeing people's responses to it. But really, at my power level, which is not increasing a great deal anytime soon besides maybe a better cam, I really don't think an auto would give me the same pleasure that I get from a 6-speed. I like knowing that I need to really work on hitting those shifts perfect and launching the car a certain way, trying out different techniques and comparing. I know autos are fun and just a different experience, especially at your power level, but I like the manual. Besides, I have a lot more things to put money into engine and suspension wise before worrying about replacing a transmission!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i agree 6 speeds are way more fun the auto comment came from me as a rant more a less against my car fairly frustrated at this point
Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Ordered the Stage 2. Few people seem to give it a shot, so I figured what the hell. It was $389 shipped, so if it doesn't hold, I'll upgrade to a 2+, not a huge loss money-wise. I am really just curious as to how accurate these torque ratings are. The 2 may not be "overkill", but it should still be a good 50+ foot pounds over what I MAY have anytime soon (figuring a 15% drivetrain loss based on my pre-12bolt/heavy driveshaft dyno numbers). The tech I spoke with at Spec said it doesn't like hotlapping too much, but the only time that happens is if I go to a rental day (few and far between), and even at those I can hold off between passes and still get a ton in by the end of the day.

JL - Haha, I figured you might respond to the auto comment. I threw that in for the fun of seeing people's responses to it. But really, at my power level, which is not increasing a great deal anytime soon besides maybe a better cam, I really don't think an auto would give me the same pleasure that I get from a 6-speed. I like knowing that I need to really work on hitting those shifts perfect and launching the car a certain way, trying out different techniques and comparing. I know autos are fun and just a different experience, especially at your power level, but I like the manual. Besides, I have a lot more things to put money into engine and suspension wise before worrying about replacing a transmission!

I understand your point believe me and it is a valid one.... but imagine the **** I would have destroyed by now if I still had the stick in my car LOL. I guarintee I'd be ready for clutch #2 since the new motor went in, I guarintee the shock would have killed the posi unit by now, driveshaft probably would have been o.k. but I bet the tranny would be either out and on it's way to sixpseeds inc, or be ready to come out to go there. All so I can do it again over the winter LOL.... no thanks.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:56 AM

Hey Jay, I'll try driving your car on the track if you try driving your car on the street
Old 06-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Race your car!

I still have a plate on it... just have to slap the exhaust back on
Old 06-23-2007, 06:56 PM

...and find a gas station that sells race gas and then fill up every 42 miles
Old 06-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Race your car!

I think I can get about 150 on a tank, haven't really tested that. I know it takes about a 1/4 tank to get to eastside and back, and that's about 25 miles one way, so I should be able to go about 200 on a tank going by that..... but I have a trailer so there's really no need to find out. 13.5 mpg towing with 87, much cheaper deal then 9 to 10 mph with 8 bucks a gallon torco blue.