Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a clutch, narrowed it down to two

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a clutch, narrowed it down to two

The slave failed on my 01 SS so I'm going to go ahead and replace the clutch much earlier than expected (the car only has 15,000 miles). The car is near stock and is only making 317 rwhp, although I'll probably raise it to around 400 in the near future. I drive the car daily in heavy traffic and don't have any plans to take the car to the track. After searching the threads for the past 3 hours, I've narrowed down my choices to 2 clutches, the Textralia 0Z700 and the McLeod single disc with organic/organic. I'll run a steel flywheel with either. The decision will hinge on which one is better for city driving, therefore please share your experiences with city driving of these two clutches.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:34 AM
King of the radial tires

Originally Posted by Chevy fan
The slave failed on my 01 SS so I'm going to go ahead and replace the clutch much earlier than expected (the car only has 15,000 miles). The car is near stock and is only making 317 rwhp....
Hi Chevy fan, what symptoms are you experiencing that leads you to conclude that the slave has failed?

Ranger
Old 06-21-2007, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

I had the McLeod single disc on my car and had no regrets. It is a little stiffer than stock, but not enough to reconsider IMO. Had good luck and sold it to a buddy when I pulled my motor. Upgrading to a twin....the single probably wont hold with my new setup and McLeod said if it involves anything on the track, use their twin.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:53 AM
wrencher

I had a McLeod kevlar/organic & it was a good clutch.
I got about 10 k out of it. But that was a lot of track passes w/ slicks. It held launches with the slicks like a champ
I would not want to run there master cylinder for a daily, get a stocker made adjustable IMO.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ranger
Hi Chevy fan, what symptoms are you experiencing that leads you to conclude that the slave has failed?

Ranger
The system is losing pressure within 10-15 seconds of depressing the clutch yet there are no external leaks. Initially I thought that there was just air in the system as I recently changed the fluid, but Its been bled three times since then by my trans guy to no avail.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Well I have the Oz700 Z grip, and I am on the fence with it. Since mile 0 the car has had a low engagement issue, like 1.5 inches off the carpet. I am putting the new master in asap to see if that helps, but I know its not the pressure plate bolts because it did it from mile 0 before they could have worked loose, and they were torqued to spec and loktited.

So, just trying to give my experience, the clutch is great for launching, and effortless in traffic. Just this low engagement thing has me real pissed. If the new master with a re-bleed doesnt fix it, Im going with the single disk mccleod and throwing this one in the trash. With low engagement it is uncomfortable, and impossible to speed shift.

Just my 2 cents here to help you.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

on a stock car i would take an ls7
Old 06-21-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles on the oz? I would still think you could run the ram adjustable or modify the stock one to get it up higher with no bad effects. My twin tex engages pretty high up no complaints there but at 350 miles break in type of mileage its still very grabby and not fun in heavy traffic. I kind of wish would have got the oz700 instead but was worried about the power handling.
Have you tried a rebleed.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed the Textralia x-grip, nice clutch for someone that does more street driving.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
How many miles on the oz? I would still think you could run the ram adjustable or modify the stock one to get it up higher with no bad effects. My twin tex engages pretty high up no complaints there but at 350 miles break in type of mileage its still very grabby and not fun in heavy traffic. I kind of wish would have got the oz700 instead but was worried about the power handling.
Have you tried a rebleed.
Yea, there is no air in the line. If it does the same with the new master after the drill mod and re bleed, im gonna try the adjustable route before I either rip it all out for a mccleoud or trade for a cobra.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Thule
on a stock car i would take an ls7
Is the LS7 clutch and flywheel a direct bolt in or does it have to be shimmed or modified in order to make it work?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

The ls7 is a direct bolt on.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

you just have to take the ls2 flywheel, and then it is adirect bolt, strong clutch with a stock feal,

at least, i think the oem clutch is heavy enough
Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default My Vote - Cartek

I've got a Cartek clutch. Works great, feels and engages like stock, and used the stock slave and master. No chatter.

It's rated for 700/700. You use the stock LS2 flywheel. Quite a few guy's are using them with no complaints.

Bob K.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the insight. I ended up purchasing an LS7 clutch kit after hearing the positive feedback and figuring in the $500 price differential between the LS7 kit and the other two systems that I was originally considering.