Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Weid cluth problems after McLeod Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Weid cluth problems after McLeod Master Cylinder

Hey guys,

I am having a really weird problem with my hydraulic system after installing my new McLeod Adj. master cylinder. Its kinda hard to explain, but I will try my best. Ok, I got a new master cylinder cause after running hard through 1st and 2nd, and maybe 3rd, the clutch wouldnt go all the way to the floor like when I first got the car, but it will be about 1/2 way down, and you would need to pump it a couple times. My LS7 clutch has <5K miles on it, and the 02 slave has the same. So I figured it to be the stock master cylinder. So I just got done replacing it, and did the drill mod, and I bench bled the system correctly and installed it, and when I went to drive it, here was how the clutch was:

|Bottom | Engaging | Fully engaged | Top|
---XXXXXXXXX----------------------------------------------

The x's being where the clutch starts and ends engagment. lol Sorry for the ghetto picture. So it was basically engaging right off the floor. So I went out and test drove it, and got in it through 3rd, and then the clutch behavior chaged totally to this:

|Bottom | Engaging | Fully engaged | Top|
----------------------------------------------------XXXXXX-

So it basically flip flopped. I like it this second way, but like I said, all I did was get on the car and this happened. So I went back and bled the system from the slave cylinder, and just to not have to draw it again, it was exactly like the first picture, except instead of it engaging right off the floor, it was slightly engaged with your foot on the floor. Took the car out, got on it, and it snapped back to the second drawing. Just so you guys know, the problem hasnt been fixed. I got Dr's on my car, and have stock gear, so after a hard launch , the clutch is really hot, and it still goes half way down. Also, I have brand new fluid that is Prestone DOT 3 Synthetic. If someone has an idea on what is up, let me know. I am ready for my clutch to start working since I have brand new of everything in the system. I am looking to get a 12 bolt soon, and go to the track. Is it the LS7 clutch that is not holding up? The car makes 396rwhp. Thanks in advance for advice.

Last edited by 93camaro_zzz; 06-24-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What clutch? A worn clutch will do the same thing, but you NEED to bench bleed the master to get all the air out of it. The way they are posistioned in the car, it will be next to impossible to get the air out if not bench bleed.

I bench bleed mine and still bled the **** out of it on the car and its worked perfect for 3+ years.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:56 AM
wrencher

I run a McLeod, it has been a challenge as well.
I keep it maitained with fluid flushes has been good now for 3+ years.
But I know when the car is cold, the pedal does engage a little lower. Not to the extreme you are getting but lower engaement.
I run the car warm it normal & it's all good.
I would try to optimize the adjustment on the master when hot. It helps the pedal feel all around.

I have also had issues with my mcLeod & others where it needed a rebuild.
That was the only thing that fixed it.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Like I said, its an LS7 clutch, and it has <5K miles on it. I just got MT Dr's for the rear. Could it be just th clutch cant hold down a launch?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:34 PM
wrencher

If you only experence the problem on a launch it is more than a possibility.
Is that the issue then, only has problems on & after hard launches?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:43 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I'd say mostly. It might go a little soft after a normal off the line, then accelerate through 3rd or a little into 4th. Not looking forward to replacing this clutch again. That wasnt fun the first time.

Quick Reply: Weid cluth problems after McLeod Master Cylinder