Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problem with billet 3/4 keys/struts

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with billet 3/4 keys/struts

I bought a set of 3/4 billet keys/struts from gearbox.org and they sent me a set of green c-springs to go along with them. I reassembled the main shaft, everything is lined up, and 1 out of every 5 or so test runs of moving the 3/4 hub down using the shift rail with the case open, its almost as if the 3/4 keys slip off the springs and the hub stays in 4th gear (end of the shaft near the adapter plate). It almost seems like some sort of design flaw and nothing prevents them for extending past the c-spring. The new billet keys have a small lip on them to catch the spring but it definitely doesn't seem to be doing the job very well.

Any tips or am I totally missing something here? Its getting real frustrating.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use your stock 3/4 springs. If I am remembering right the green ones are from the vette and are different. The stock ones should work fine and can be reused without problems.

Amber
Old 06-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
Use your stock 3/4 springs. If I am remembering right the green ones are from the vette and are different. The stock ones should work fine and can be reused without problems.

Amber
Thanks for the tip. The green ones actually have two little "turns" (one on each end) instead of one like the stock springs. This causes them to push away from the inside of the synchro hub, leaving the keys with very little c-spring to grab hold of.

Thanks gearbox.org for the "use green springs" note that came with the order