Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch confusion

Old 07-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch confusion

hey need help again. i never thaught modding would be this confusing, but it never seems to get any easier to decide between parts. i am now looking at a new clutch, my stock one is starting to slip. im just not sure which clutch to get. i plan to install longtube headers, 3.73 gears, ls6 intake, and a mild to moderate cam by the end of the summer. with these future upgrades in mind i appreciate any clutch suggestions anyone had. i did a few searches on ls1tech and im pretty confused at this point. i think id like to either go with a spec 3 or spec 2, based on my knowledge. bu im also considering the spec 2+ becuase i think the spec 2 will not hold well enough and i have header that the spec 3 is pretty harsh for the street. thanks for your help.

p.s. this will be a daily driver driven in the city and it will probably only see the drag strip a few times a year. thanks again

birdman
Old 07-01-2007, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

I researched on here for A LOOOOONNG time before making my decision....I decided on the Ram Powergrip HD.....haven't installed it yet but from what I've read on here, and the couple of people i know who run it I think I'll be happy

A Spec 2 wont hold a car with a cam for very long....Spec 3's have been known to have their problems too....But the Spec 3+ might not be a bad idea either
Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checkout the LS7 clutch kit from GM. Also, post this in the Manual Transmission forum for better answers.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got the ls7 clutch kit and higly recomend it, my friend has the spec3 and its.. as bad as it can be, poor feel, and it started to slip after something like 5k
Old 07-01-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Everybody seems to love Spec's for some stupid reason I can't understand... seems like 90% of the people that have them end up having problems in a short amount of time...

I've went through 5 clutches...

from my experience, the stock clutch is crap, centerforce was a waist of money...

I finally forked out the money and got a Clutchmasters Stg. III w/Aluminum Flywheel... it's worked well for me

Others that have good reputations are the textrella and exedy clutches... the LS7 is supposed to be a pretty good clutch as well, but I hear the install is a little tricky just because of the self adjusting Pressure Plate.

One thing I can't stress enough and i'm sure there will be others on here to contridict me is to get rid of the needle pilot bearing, and put a good old fashioned bronze bushing in there instead... every clutch swap i did, the needle bearing was trashed. I spoke to both clutchmasters and my tranny shop and both places said with the amount of power/torque the LSx engines put out, the needle bearings just can't hold up...
Old 07-01-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

ls7clutch install was not tricky at all when i installed it
Old 07-01-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

I 2nd the bronze bushing swap if you are replacing the clutch. My stock needle bearing with 38k miles was almost trashed when I pulled it. It was dry as dust.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

thanks alot guys that helps alot. keep the info coming, oh yea and sorry forgot about the manual transmission forum. but i will def take a look at the ls7
Old 07-02-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Thule
ls7clutch install was not tricky at all when i installed it
yea... i probably should have clarified that a bit more...

not EVERYONE had problems... just SOME people

better?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Junkie

might as well add pics of my clutch setup

ran me a good penny @ $1,500.00

Old 07-02-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Regular

I have the Stage 2

I really like the feel and "grab" that it has. It's been on the car for about 15,000 miles and still feels real good. It's been sprayed with Nitrous and the bolt ons, holds up damn well too. It just wont hold up for too long
Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
yea... i probably should have clarified that a bit more...

not EVERYONE had problems... just SOME people

better?
lol.. yes

sometimes i dont understand 100% what ppl are saying
Old 07-02-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call me old school, but I have used CenterForce dual-friction in all of my cars for the past 15+ years, no problems (a bit of a heave pedal pressure). Got about 60+k on my 84' Z28 DD, makes about 30+ 1/4 mile passes a year and it is still holding up. No problem on my 71' Chevelle LS1/T56 so far. Many have had bad review with them.. but I have not.

Not to confuse you more, but Don't get caught up in what everyone saids, Cause every manufactor has problem and every install is different. A lot has to do with the driving habits also of each. Bottom line, what works for one will not always work for the next guy.

You have done your research already, Based on what you have found, Just pick a good brand clutch that suits your car and driving.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Think this belongs in the Manual Transmission section

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clutch confusion