Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia exoskel twin disk, a lilttle noisey?

Old 07-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Textralia exoskel twin disk, a lilttle noisey?

I recently put on the above mentioned clutch on my 03 z06.

The thing is VERY grabby. It doesnt seem to want to be slipped. Im in the process of breaking it in, but it seems to be a little loud? It sounds like the disks or spinning at idle, and when i press the clutch peddle in it makes a weird noise (not loud by anymeans, but if you listen for it you can hear it).

The clutch pressure is pretty decent too. I dont mind it, but i thought it was going to be closer to stock. I have a spec 3 in my cobra, and i would say the pressure is about the same between the two.

Anybody have the same experience with this clutch, or any experience i should say?
Old 07-05-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted my experiences with the twin a few times already. But give it to you again.
I have about 500 miles on my twin. First 20 miles would have been totally undriveable in heavy traffic,almost any traffic. Lucky took to industrial part of town. Then clutch seemed to get way better and thought it would be cake to drive. Then another few hundred miles it got grabbier and now at 500 its driveable in traffic but still a handful. I also seem to have some tuning problems giving me some surge when reversing and trying to drive slow like in shops trying to get into bay or up on drive on hoist.
I am hoping the clutch gets better with more miles. I only have 3.42 gears and don't think they help much.
The twin is also very noisy. It makes a loud rattling sound that seems to get only slightly quieter when it warms up. It is of course only loud when you push the clutch in. As for holding power think it will be up to that task .I only have 420 engine hp or so right now with just cam and underdrive,cutout,fast 90 /Nw 90 and thats about it on there. I think some 3.73 or 4.10 would really help out but this is on a f body not a vette.I have big power plans so thats why didnt' go with the more streetable oz700 maybe with x pad for even better streetability.I plan on having about 850rwhp at max with 408 or 427 swap,heads and cam and my twin turbo kit.

I am not overly impressed with current streetability of this clutch.
I have been in touch with textralia. They are testing out some more streetable discs for the twin and would think they should have them available as option shortly. They are full face carbon/kevlar discs not the metallic/ceramic puck style that are on there with the current twin. They should be a lot better in traffic and more street friendly and supposedly quite a bit quieter. All good things. I want what most people want in a clutch..I want it all! four things...light to medium pedal pressure..My tex twin is fine in that area,its more medium but livable to me.
Power handling..well haven't tracked it but some guys have put big power thru the twin..some have had some low hp failure but maybe they slip hell out of every launch. Who knows.
I also want a quiet clutch. The twin with current discs is too noisy. It gets on my nerves and makes the car sound like POS. I turn up the stereo and my exhaust is pretty loud if open the cutout.
I have some hope the new more streetable discs will help in this area but I am not looking forward to another clutch install even if its just to swap out discs.
And streetability.The twin is not that streetable. I can do it but not fun ,at least at my current mileage and with the tuning surging problems even less fun.

I have considered ripping out and selling the twin. And trying a street twin from ram..don't like adjustable hydraulics though had them fry my last cartech clutch. fidanza..very new on market not sure if they need adjustable hydraulics..mcleod street twin ..uses their infamous adjustable master. spec..well they sound good not sure about noise with them.They don't use funny hydraulics though.

I am also considering 480 swap and converter.
I will put some more miles on my twin for now. Swap in the more street typs discs possibly in next few months or next spring when mabye yank out engine and change it. If the street discs are quiet enough and streetable then will likely live with that. If they are not then might try another make of twin or straight to auto.

I have to say tex has given me good support. I have talked to Peter personally a couple of times. I also asked if they couldn't do a redesign of the twin so it dont' rattle. Since the competition is advertising no or minimal rattle on their clutches..ram/fidanza as stated above both are saying this in the advertising.Peter said the street discs for the twins would likely help a lot at the expensive of not quite as high a power handling. But still think they would be 800ft pounds since the oz700 is 700.

Most guys said their twin was pretty streetable with miles. A few said didn't really improve.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Thank you for the input.

I have about 100 break in miles currently on this clutch. I hope it gets better.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for nearly 9 months now. Over 5,000 miles and I have never had any noise problem. It is grabby off the line.....that is what a twin disc is supposed to do. It squeaks on take off some times, but more rpm and a steady quick release solve that problem. The 3.89 gears help I am sure. I love it.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

You are saying you get no rattling when you push in the clutch? Is your exhaust really loud or do you have stereo or heater fan on loud? Its loud rattle in mine but might get slightly quieter when the car and clutch warms up.
And how many miles till it got street friendly.? 1000? 2000?...Do you go thru heavy slow creeping traffic with it..? I would think 3.89 would help a lot. I still want 3.73 but everyone is saying go with 3.42 with turbos.Or 3.54 or whatever dana 60 comes with minimum.

I have no complaints for pedal pressure and think it will hold some good power.

Still they should just offer it two ways and think that is what they are going to do shortly. Like the oz700 with x and z pad. The twin will be like carbon/kevlar sprung full face and the current metallic/ceramic discs.
Giving up some power handling for more streetability and quietness might appeal to some people.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Oh and Cam..how much track runs..? 60fts? How much power are you putting thru it?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Default break in

From all of the posts that I have read concerning the Exo skell, it sounds like everyone that abuses the clutch likes the way it handles. This clutch doesn't need to be broke in like most other clutches. The people going through a break in process are the ones that seem to be having problems with theirs. I am about to install this clutch on my new 413 ci LS2, and within the first 100 miles I can gaurantee that I will have a full dyno tune and several 6000 rpm launches at the track. This b!#ch was made to take abuse.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

I am currently bolt ons only. 2 track passes. 1.8x 60 fts. I also installed solid motor mounts at the same time. I don't know if this helped with the lack of noise or not. My clutch does not make any noise except the squeek on engagement. I daily drive it, even in 15 mph zones in 3rd and 4th gear. I have never considered this a non friendly clutch; but it got easier to drive from a stop after about 2,500 miles. After 500 miles, I put on the drag radials and did 3 or 4 burnouts and 4,500 rpm launches feathering in the throttle (These were done on a deserted parking lot, NOT a prepared racetrack).
Old 07-09-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

No noise..are you 100% sure. If you turn off your stereo ,heater fan and push in the clutch especially if you are beside anything that echos it back I am sure you will hear the rattling sound they make. Also I do think the noise a bit worse maybe fair bit worse cold. I just drown my noise out right now with stereo and exhaust.
Good news about the 2500 miles or so. I can deal with it most of the time in traffic. Just occasionally it gets on my nerves.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

I think I heard what you are talking about today. In the driveway, at idle, with my door open, radio and blower off, I could hear a bit of a growl or hum with the clutch pedal on the floor. Not a rattle though. Stopped when I released the pedal. At anything other than idle, and with the door closed, I hear nothing. I think it is hardly anything to register considering what this clutch is supposed to be capable of dealing with.
Look at it like this, if one day your clutch starts acting up you can depress the clutch and listen for the noise. If there is no noise, you know your hydraulics are not working .
Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

That is not what it sounds like. It sounds like a definite rattle and is only there when you push in the clutch pedal. Its very audible with stereo,fan and my cutout closed. Its very audible when car is cold and as said think it gets better as clutch warms up. It annoys me but is not the end of the world. If the clutch holds big power then can live with the noise. There is zero noise when you dont have the clutch pedal pressed in and idle has nothing to do with it. I suggest standing beside your car and have somebody push in the clutch pedal. Many tex twin users have the same noise and tex admits it has this noise. No idea why you wouldn't have the noise. Its called floater rattle and fidanza ,ram and few other companies advertise they have taken steps in their clutches to elminate it.
Now this is a twin disc only thing. Single discs dont' make the noise.And would be happy it was some type of humm or nicer sound.Its a rattling POS sound. At least in my car.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
I think I heard what you are talking about today. In the driveway, at idle, with my door open, radio and blower off, I could hear a bit of a growl or hum with the clutch pedal on the floor. Not a rattle though. Stopped when I released the pedal. At anything other than idle, and with the door closed, I hear nothing. I think it is hardly anything to register considering what this clutch is supposed to be capable of dealing with.
Look at it like this, if one day your clutch starts acting up you can depress the clutch and listen for the noise. If there is no noise, you know your hydraulics are not working .
Curious I only have 200 miles on mine and it sounds like yours. No rattle. I have to turn everything off, open the window and point it out to others. Of course I'm not going to complain about not having a rattle hopefully I don't get one.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Ironmancan..what do you mean exactly. Why did you say you have to open the window and turn everything off and point it out?does that mean you have it when you do that. As said it only makes the rattling when you push in the pedal.I put it into neutral at lights but you still hear it sometimes when you are in heavy traffic and when you push it in when slowing down.
Its very loud if it has something to echo off and think loudest when clutch is cold.
I am sure mine was installed properly. Now tex has some new discs as options for the twin and I will likely be giving them a try. They are supposed to cut the noise down considerably.
They are full face sprung kevlar /carbon. The current ones of course are puck ceramic /metallic type one sprung and one solid.

I look for four things in a perfect clutch. Light to medium pedal pressure,ability to hold my required power, quiet operation and streetability.
So far the tex pedal pressure if fine medium firm to me. I think it will hold my required power. It is noisy when pushed in and its streetability at 500 miles could be better. It can be a pain sometimes and I have to rev it up pretty high to leave the lights smoothly. Hoping more break in helps. And as said also might try optional discs to see how much better it could be. I should likely have went to oz700 with x disc. But am going to be putting out a bit more than that clutch was rated for occasionally.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Mine stopped making the chatter at idle... but when the clutch pedal is depressed you can hear the frictions playing some tune with the steels under the car. The clutch is very difficult to drive on the street... i know what you are going through but nothing to worry about my clutch has never had a problem with 5000 miles on it.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Ironmancan..what do you mean exactly. Why did you say you have to open the window and turn everything off and point it out?does that mean you have it when you do that. As said it only makes the rattling when you push in the pedal.I put it into neutral at lights but you still hear it sometimes when you are in heavy traffic and when you push it in when slowing down.
Its very loud if it has something to echo off and think loudest when clutch is cold.

With my window closed its barely audible. Like yours I can only hear something when I push the pedal then all I get is a very low noise. Like metal being brushed over but its very quiet. No rattle. It was a pretty straight foward install and I don't know why some rattle and some don't. Hope this helps
Old 07-10-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

With window closed I would hear it less. Talking mostly with windows down ,tops off stereo off and cutout closed ,heater fan off. Turn on stereo, heater fan ,open cutout and bit and then dont notice. I can't see it being install they are pretty basic to install. Torque the bolts in star pattern,use loctite, torque wrench..pretty much it.
Maybe it will get less with more miles. Maybe as said change out the discs for better streetabilty. Moving around very slowly like in shop bays or onto drive on hoists or in slow creeping traffic still sucks at 550 miles.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 50_Dave
I recently put on the above mentioned clutch on my 03 z06.

The thing is VERY grabby. It doesnt seem to want to be slipped. Im in the process of breaking it in, but it seems to be a little loud? It sounds like the disks or spinning at idle, and when i press the clutch peddle in it makes a weird noise (not loud by anymeans, but if you listen for it you can hear it).

The clutch pressure is pretty decent too. I dont mind it, but i thought it was going to be closer to stock. I have a spec 3 in my cobra, and i would say the pressure is about the same between the two.

Anybody have the same experience with this clutch, or any experience i should say?

Guys what you are hearing is the floater plate ratttling arond when the clutch is released, there is no way to get this to stop, one of the only down falls to a twin disc. I have a ram street twin and when I installed it with all new hyd's I thought I had recieved a bad slave so I called Ram and they told me what it was. We a have a pro mod with a triple in it (it a race clutch) but still the same principal and it make the same noise that you are talking about. So no worries.

Now I have a ? does anyone have 5000 miles and up on their tex twin and if so how it holding up. I put 7000mi on my Ram and its smoked allready. I contacted Ram and they don't want to do anything to help me out. I explained to them that I bought this clutch so that I didn't have to deal with having to take the clutch out every 6 months like I had with the Spec clutches that I was running.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Textralia exoskel twin disk, a lilttle noisey?