Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch problems--still have them after drill mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problems--still have them after drill mod

I've got a '99 T/A. 118k miles, the guy who owned it before me thinks it was still on the stock clutch; it still feels fine though. 1st-2nd gear high RPM shifts are fine, but 2nd-3rd high rpm shifts take about 3-4 seconds before the gear will slide in; the clutch pedal sticks to the floor and I have to pull it back up with my feet and pump it a few times in neutral. I did the drill mod yesterday and (much to my dismay) it did NOTHING to help the problem. (I bench-bled the system while it was out of the car and then bled the clutch after the assembly was reinstalled) It drives perfectly with normal daily driving. The fluid was clean and clear during the test run. Is it safe to assume I need to upgrade to the 01+ hydraulics now? Should this fix the problem?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well yea it sounds like your clutch is slipping and causing the fluid in ur slave to overheat! well u can try one more thing im not to sure it will work in your situation tho but it wont hurt to try, ok the diaphram that is in ur resiorvoir, take that out and bend the bottom pointed part of it inward! and now put it back in. after doing this my clutch would still kinda stick to the floor but wouldent do it as much! but my clutch problems all got fixed after i bleed out the system no more problems on my clutch! and also if u change ur clutch put in the 01+ slave and put a 1/8 inch spacer behind the slave, some people said that works ad well. so let me know wat happens man take care
Old 07-11-2007, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My slave was crapping out last year and felt like how you described. I babied it last year and kept it on the road with a lot of bleeds throughout the summer. This spring I put in all new hydraulics and a new clutch. The slaves (at least on my car) seem to wear out every 35k-40k miles. I had one done under warranty and recently did it again. And my worn slave allowed a lot of clutch slippage if driven hard. I noticed the hot spots on the flywheel when we took the old stuff off.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem and thought the drill mod would fix everything,however the problem was finially solved by replacing my clutch with the ls7 clutch.no more pedal issues
Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

I've been through 4 clutches... I had this problem with the first two. When I fixed it... I changed a lot of things, so it's hard to say what did it. I replaced the GM HD truck clutch that was in it with a Centerforce, added a 1/8" spacer behind the slave, new GM master cylinder, new GM slave 01+ (that's all they've been selling for a long time now).

Something in that formula cured the problem, but the car already had a 01+ slave, so I wouldn't look to that as a solution. Since then, I've upgraded to an LS7 clutch with all the same hydros and spacer. The problem with the sticking pedal has never returned.

I have NOT done a drill mod, or an adjustable master cylinder mod, or anything of that nature. Honestly, I think the spacer cured it, but it could have been a mix of things.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
I've been through 4 clutches... I had this problem with the first two. When I fixed it... I changed a lot of things, so it's hard to say what did it. I replaced the GM HD truck clutch that was in it with a Centerforce, added a 1/8" spacer behind the slave, new GM master cylinder, new GM slave 01+ (that's all they've been selling for a long time now).

Something in that formula cured the problem, but the car already had a 01+ slave, so I wouldn't look to that as a solution. Since then, I've upgraded to an LS7 clutch with all the same hydros and spacer. The problem with the sticking pedal has never returned.

I have NOT done a drill mod, or an adjustable master cylinder mod, or anything of that nature. Honestly, I think the spacer cured it, but it could have been a mix of things.
A spacer behind the slave? Interesting, never heard of that..how does that help cure the problem?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Personally... I don't know how it cured the problem. As far as my mind reaches, it defies logic. I did the spacer because I always had a low pedal/problems with disengagement, but it ended up solving that problem, too.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will have to add a spacer behind the slave if you surface your flywheel due to the design of the flywheel. Other then that, i am stumped on why it would or still be doing that.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Update. Recently (as of a few days ago, and then again today), when I replace the old dirty fluid in the reservoir with fresh clean fluid, a small "tornado/cyclone" of black fluid works its way up to the top of the fluid and then dissipates throughout the fluid, turning it once again to a dark murky color. It didn't do this a month ago the last time I refreshed the fluid(both before and after the drill mod) so I'm sort of stumped over what could be causing it to do this...any insight?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fluid in the slave is dirty and the only way to get all the fluid clean
is to flush the system from underneath the car.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

You need to flush the system from the bottom.

Quick Reply: clutch problems--still have them after drill mod