Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need shifter removal help: sealant removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need shifter removal help: sealant removal

I decided to take my B&M out today, at night which was dumb because I could barely see with a flashlight. I forgot that the body of the thing is sealed to the tranny with some kind of adhesive/gasket maker. After putting everything back together and calling it a night, I planned to take a hairdryer to it to soften it up and pull it off tomorrow. Later I realized that that probably wouldn’t work because the tranny case gets really hot but the adhesive still stays intact. Or maybe the heat does soften it up, but the body of the shifter stays intact because it is bolted down as well.

Anyway, say the hairdryer doesn’t work, what is the best way to get this thing off? A couple of other things I was thinking:

- there is a little indent at the top of the shifter body; try to get the tip of a mini crowbar (not sure if that’s what it is actually called) or chisel in there and split them apart

- try to wedge and exacto/razor blade in between the two somewhere and scrape away the adhesive (would probably take forever)

- use some sort of solvent to dissolve/soften the adhesive and go from there (I don’t want to tarnish the anodized shifter body though)

Any tips? The thing is stuck on there real good and it seems like any method I’ve thought of would do damage to things.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always had to use a small pry bar at the front of the shifter base to get mine to come up, but that is all it takes. It will take some force, no doubt...that's why there's a small gap at the front of it on the bottom.

I've recently gone to a rubber gasket compliments of CobraBob (a quick Google search will come up with that little gem). No more worrying about that for me.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, Meent. I'm going to go see what I can do.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Those things are made pretty solid, just man up on it
Old 07-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

All done. This pry bar worked perfectly:

It was actually easier to pry it off from the back instead of from the notch at the front. The reason being, the back of the base of the B&M shifter didn't sit flush with the transmission. There was about a 1/2" overhang that I could hook the bar under. After that I pried for a couple of seconds and it popped right off.

I like the Hurst shifter so much better than the angled B&M. Now all I need is a TNA short stick and I'm set.