Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hard time putting it in second

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hard time putting it in second

Only when I downshift

so from 3rd to 2nd it is taking excessive force, feels like its not going to go in 2nd, once I shift it to 3rd and want to downshift. however its not grinding, just taking lots of force to put it in 2nd if I wanna downshift to 2nd. I have to slam it in there, in order for it to go in second.

what is wrong?

I rebuilt it 3 months ago and the car drove fine, everyday. I raced with it, daily drove it and took it to top speed many a time. so its been through it all, but I never really beat on it hard.

and Im using crabon blocker rings, bronze fork pads, etc...

its not the clutch, because its only having trouble going into second gear and only when Im downshifting, what could be the problem? IM guessing something with the shift rail location once it goes to 3rd isnt letting me get it into second again, easily.

Oh and I just changed the trans fluid 2 weeks ago and used a cheap-O brand fluid. but it was still dexron 3.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

BTW I just raced my car yesterday @ the 1/8 mile dragstrip, I only made 4 passes and it started happening after that. I dont think I even powershifted any of those times and when I was going to burnout I had it in neutral, not 2nd and I gassed it, thinking it was in 2nd. But nothing happened obviously, so I put it in 2nd after my revs dropped down and burned out...
Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

have you done the drill mod to the master cylinder line ? if not do it. otherwise its your pressure plate warming up and not disengaging fully and you either need to upgrade the clutch or you may be slipping the clutch too much heating it up IE not letting out the clutch fast and it slips and heats up. hope that helps. ~Guy
Old 07-13-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just had the drill mod done today along with a ls7 clutch kit installed. I now have no problems up or down shifting at high rpm. I would try the drill mod like ssdriver27 said. I could not do this before the mod.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssdriver27
have you done the drill mod to the master cylinder line ? if not do it. otherwise its your pressure plate warming up and not disengaging fully and you either need to upgrade the clutch or you may be slipping the clutch too much heating it up IE not letting out the clutch fast and it slips and heats up. hope that helps. ~Guy
I actually never did the drill mod, but why only for 2nd gear?

I need to upgrade past LS7 clutch? Im only like 320-325RWHP area and weigh under 3400lbs.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tasilver
Just had the drill mod done today along with a ls7 clutch kit installed. I now have no problems up or down shifting at high rpm. I would try the drill mod like ssdriver27 said. I could not do this before the mod.

well a month ago I had no problem going 2 - 3 - 2 at the top of 3rd gear. which is very, very bad. Luckily my engine is still running. I mean by force I can do that too @ 90mph, but. yeah I probably should do the drill mod then, damnit do I need to drop the trans again to do this?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

BUMP...

Are you sure it has to di with the drill mod?
Id like to believe so, but somehoe I doubt it would affect only second gear and it feels that way a little bit for 1st gear, but 2nd gear is the worst.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How fast are you going when trying to downshift into 2nd?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk00ss
How fast are you going when trying to downshift into 2nd?
anywhere from 10-45mph range.

lets say im in 3rd and am 15mph, I want to accelerate faster now, I downshift to 2nd.

Oh and I revmatch also, but its bothering me lately, since I rev and cant downshift, so it looks retarded.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:35 AM
TECH Addict

I had problems with my car not downshifting smoothly, and i would have to rev the **** out of it to take a gear at a high rpm. I made my stock master cylinder adjustabel ,and haven had a problem since.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk00ss
I had problems with my car not downshifting smoothly, and i would have to rev the **** out of it to take a gear at a high rpm. I made my stock master cylinder adjustabel ,and haven had a problem since.
Okay, but its only in 2nd and half as hard for doing it into 1st ( like when Im at under 10 mph obviously)

I changed my clutch to a LS7 clutch in november and I got a new slave cylinder and fidanza aluminum flywheel. so all those are less than a year old. On average I make 10 PASSES AT THE DRAGSRTIP A MONTH, if even that.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

If the Fidanza flywheel is anyhting like my spec unit, it is thinner than the stock flywheel. That is the problem there. Thats why you use a spacer behind the slave, but in my case it wasnt enough, and I needed just a little bit more engagment in my cluth. The adj. master was the answer. It will only cost you like $5 in hardware and your tire to do it....cheaper than replacing it, and if that doesnt solve it, then I dunno. I changed my slave twice, and master cylinder once, and bled and bled and bled the system. And none of it worked, beside this.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

im having the same problem with my m6 also. only i cant bang 2nd gear once the car gets hot.. when the trans is cold it will go. i dont understand that. im not running headers so i wouldnt think it would be the fluid getting too hot.. but i have not done the drill mod yet.. thats the next thing i will do.. and if that dont work i guess when tax season rolls around ill pull the trans and clutch and hydraulics and replace everything.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Im just curious as to why everyone thinks its hydraulic realated (clutch or fluid getting hot or not enough fluid) vs it being a trans problem. Dont et me wrong I want it to be a simple problem, but Im afraid its trans related, because its only with 2nd gear (mostly)... vs it shoul dbe in all gears if it was a clutch related problem.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Im just curious as to why everyone thinks its hydraulic realated (clutch or fluid getting hot or not enough fluid) vs it being a trans problem. Dont et me wrong I want it to be a simple problem, but Im afraid its trans related, because its only with 2nd gear (mostly)... vs it shoul dbe in all gears if it was a clutch related problem.

I had this exact problem, fixed it by adjusting the master as has been noted several times in this thread.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

well i think part of mine is a trans problem. thats y i intend when tax season comes giving six speed inc a call. the downshifting problem in my opinion messed up teeth on the syncro side of gear.. but the trying to bang 2nd gear when the car has been driven for a while and also it does it after i do a burnout at the track is a hydraulic problem.. i may be wrong but thats just where im going to start.. either way in a few months.. its all going to be replaced... theres just no use in doing part of it now.. ill just be easy on the car for now and when i get my taxes back.. drop a couple of grand on the car and replace everything
Old 07-16-2007, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1-450
I had this exact problem, fixed it by adjusting the master as has been noted several times in this thread.
well sounds like I should give it a try then, hopefully it works.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

I would like Amber to chime in here also...

and I have another question..

do the B&M shifters have shift block off plates? so you dont over shift? could I have damaged a 2nd gear blocker ring because I dont ave any block off plates on the shifter.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Yes the B&M does have shift stops. But from what I have read on here numerous, I dont beleive you can over shift theses trannies. I beleive they have built in stops. I have no clue how true this is, so DO NOT hold me accountable for that! lol maybe some one who knows more about this will chime in.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:26 AM
11 Second Club

I rebuilt my own trans , I dont see how they have built in stops. But I do know that it could be possible to overshift it. I dunno

Quick Reply: hard time putting it in second