Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3-4-2 shift question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3-4-2 shift question

I'm about ready to toss this p.o.s. transmission(and ABS, but that's another story) out of my road racer.
I shift very very quickly, and lately, I've been doing quite a bit more of the "going into 4th, but hey, it's now in 2nd!"
What fixes do yall recommend. It's a z06 with a hurst shifter.
It's really really infuriating the hell out of me. I had it lock the tires going 90 at an event today. The BMW guys freaked out when I told them the motor takes a lot more than that to blow it. anyhow, I digress.

Any and all advice welcome, just remember, I'm very frustrated right now.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

I have had the same problem, and yes, it is quite embarassing . I asked a friend that has been to a few racing schools about this topic. He told me to lift my elbow and put my palm on the other side of the shifter (knuckles toward your leg, palm toward the passenger side) as I go into fourth . I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I never thought about it on my own and it has since worked for me.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

I shift very very quickly, and lately, I've been doing quite a bit more of the "going into 4th, but hey, it's now in 2nd!"
What fixes do yall recommend. It's a z06 with a hurst shifter.
It's really really infuriating the hell out of me. I had it lock the tires going 90 at an event today.
Did the tires ever gain traction when you downshifted to 2nd? If so, you mechanically over reved your engine to approximately 7800 RPMs and it's O.K.???

"Shifting very very quickly" is only good if you are very very accurate.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kidreno_21
I have had the same problem, and yes, it is quite embarassing . I asked a friend that has been to a few racing schools about this topic. He told me to lift my elbow and put my palm on the other side of the shifter (knuckles toward your leg, palm toward the passenger side) as I go into fourth . I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I never thought about it on my own and it has since worked for me.
I done it twice but since switching to the way above, it hasn't happened since
Old 07-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Here's a quick fix to the problem. The stock shifter is sort of a ball shape (give or take). It allows for you to position your hand in multiple positions for comfort. Unfortunately, this does not set an angle for referencing (you can't feel how vertical or angled the stick is). Get a pistol grip or a T handle shifter. Pistol grip is vertical and T handle is around level. They will help you keep your forearm lined up with the shifter. Otherwise, you get sloppy and can't realize it.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll have to do that.

Yes, it's ok to me. and the car is none the wiser; no knock, no knock sewing machine, oiling fine, and the engine comes out in the winter anyhow.

99% of the time, I'm flawless and perfect when it comes to nailing the shift while racing, but these offshifts are starting to annoy when their statistical average starts to jack up...

I'll have to search for a T-Handle and Pistol grip. I'm visualizing it, and your very correct Shock Hawk, the stock grip leaves much to be desired on angles(my hand is cocked about 30* with knuckles facing passenger, horizontal being the parallel to the ground. Until I can find one, I'm gonna try the reverse method that another poster mentioned, that'd definitely take care of it in the short term.

after playing with a C6Z all day, I actually like the shifter, sure it has long throws between the fore/aft shifts, but its got a pretty good safety margin in the side throws. but it's worlds better than a 996 turbo's. I'll be checking this option with a rethreaded t-handle

Last edited by OKcruising; 07-15-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 3-4-2 shift question