Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Any reason not to get textralia?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any reason not to get textralia?

I am thinking about getting a textralia clutch. I am thinking the oz series with a regular flywheel. I have a cammed ls1 w/ bolt ons. I plan to eventually add some spray (100-125 shot) and heads.

I blew my transmission and need to take it out so I was thinking textralia.

Car is a summer nice weather car and sees a few track days per year.

Can anyone tell me exactly how it drives and what to expect from it?

Do you think i am spending too much and could go with a cheaper clutch?

Last edited by pHEnomIC; 07-18-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:55 AM
11 Second Club

I love your sig and what kind of HP are you getting from your cam?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think he's dyno'd. Neither have I, but its a good cam. Check out Fratsit, he's got some numbers as do several others.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 PM

OZ700 here.

Drives like stock

Holds up great, takes 100-150 shots with no problem. 500+ rwhp.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Let me clarify this post a little bit, my textralia stopped fully disengaging. Within 500 miles of that happening, my transmission got stuck in 4th gear, a typical t56 problem. The fact that they happened so close together is hard to believe as a coincidence, but its definitely possible.

Mine doesnt disengage all the way and ended up ruining my transmission. This is with a brand new 02 master and slave by the way. I am not the only that has had this problem either. Textralia says to use the stock master and slave, but people with the disengagement issues are moving to a mcleod adjustable master and are saying that it has fixed their problems. Before mine started dragging, I loved it. Nice engagement, little bit of chatter but not bad, and grabbed like crazy.

Last edited by Jimmard; 07-21-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Thinking of getting one, TTT
Old 07-19-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I guess price would be a reason not to get one...at least for me
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Restricted User

I have the OZ700 and Billet flywheel with the McLeod adjustable and I love it. Clutch behaves like stock when taking off. I get no chatter, nice and smooth.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

is it a full disc or a puck
Old 07-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
I have the OZ700 and Billet flywheel with the McLeod adjustable and I love it. Clutch behaves like stock when taking off. I get no chatter, nice and smooth.
Did you use the stock master with the OZ700 before you went with the McLeod? Just wondering, as I am putting my new master in one of these days when I have a few spare hours, and I hope to god it cures my horrible pedal feel, and on the carpet engagement (dont say bleed it, been there done that). If not I am selling the whole car and getting an 03 cobra, with the clutch already upgraded.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Tex Twin here....... no probs, no complaints...... the price is worth the return
Old 07-20-2007, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

I LOVE my OZ700. I went with the Aluminum flywheel due to weak GTO rearend...but it is now in my 98 TA with 4.11 rear and M12 trans out of the GTO. I now have well over 25,000 miles on mine. It holds great and can be slipped on the street just like a stock clutch. Hell, I even let the girlfriend drive my car all the time and she can't be easy on the clutch. With a Spec, even the company doesn't recommend "normal" street driving and want their clutch to be quickly released and never slipped. Even then, there are just too many people who have to replace theirs in less than 10,000 miles.

The choice is yours. Pay a little more and get something you can trust or "save" some money and get a clutch that may or may not last. I don't particularly like pulling a trans, so the choice was easy for me.

Galen

P.S. I HIGHLY recommend Byunspeed. They are quick, honest and have great prices! When mine goes out (it is a wear item) I will go with a twindisk from Textralia!
Old 07-21-2007, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

OZ700 here too.... slight bit of chatter but nothing to worry about. So far I have about 500-600 miles on it and it drives great. Stock hydraulics here and no problems.

Bought mine from Young at BYUNSPEED too.. great guy to deal with and Ill deffinitely do business with him again in the future.

FWIW when ordering make sure to go ahead and get the ARP bolts and a new GM slave cylinder. BYUNSPEED sells both.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the OZ700 in my SS with the billet steel flywheel and it works great. Feels just like the stock clutch but holds the power of my H/C car with no problem. Havent sprayed it yet but I imagine it will be fine. I took out my McLeod adjustable master and replaced it with a new GM master because that is what Textralia recomended. I havent had any problems yet.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also just had my OZ700 installed 3 days ago, along with a new slave & stock gm master, along with the drill mod!

Great so far, a little chatter from a roll, but im told that is normal and will work out over 200 miles or so.

Feels great tho and no slipping.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
Err ... didn't you tell me the trans was being rebuilt from you tearing it up from hard racing and had nothing to do with the clutch? So while waiting to get your trans rebuilt, you ordered an aluminum kit. After a couple months or so, you asked to refund the aluminum kit you received because you put the steel kit you currently have back in the car (trans still wasn't rebuilt at this time from our phone conversation) and have had no problems and now we're having issues again with the clutch?

I am not trying to make you look bad here but I am hearing two different stories now. Let's not blame the clutch if the clutch is not to blame. But if there is a problem you should contact Textralia or me instead of posting a different story I was told over the phone. Feel free to contact me on the phone if I need to be corrected.

As for the initial poster above, I would get the steel kit on. We have those and the LS7 clutch but the LS7 clutch is not going to hold up the nitrous abuse. Thanks!
You have some things mixed up, let me clarify them. I put an OZ700SB in my car a while back. About 500 miles after I put it in my rear main seal went bad and drenched the clutch in motor oil. Fearing the worst after pulling it out, I ordered the OZ700AB from you. After waiting 5 weeks for delivery and no clutch, even you were not sure when you were going to get it, I decided to clean up the oiled clutch as best I could and put it back in as some people on this board advised me to do. It was a good thing I did because a few days after I put it back in you called me and told me the aluminum flywheels had a problem and had to be remade, delaying delivery even more. After a few months or so of driving the car with the clutch that got oil all over it that was cleaned up and put back in, the clutch was working perfect and I saw no reason to use the aluminum kit that you sent me, thus I asked to return it (obviously with a restocking fee and cost of shipping it back to you). After 10-12000 miles of driving it with no issues whatsoever, the clutch stopped disengaging.

I bled the system with all new fluid just as I had been doing every 3000 miles since I put the new hydrolics in with the clutch originally and the clutch still was not disengaging. After about 500-600 miles of this problem, my car got stuck in 4th gear going down the freeway. Is the clutch fully to blame for this problem? I seriously doubt it, but I'm sure it didnt help any. This is when I called you and notified you that I was having this problem, which you acknowledged and I told you that I would pull the clutch when I got the transmission rebuilt. After reading a few other textralias were having the same problem with disengagement I looked into it more and people were saying that mcleod adjustable master cylinders were fixing their problems. I am going to buy an adjustable master to see if that cures my problems because the clutch has been absolutely great up until the disengagement issue and it still grabs great and has no chatter. I think the problem I am having is something other than the clutch itself.

What I dont understand is that if I am not the only one having this problem and the other people that do have this problem are fixing it with an adjustable master, why does textralia recommend against using the adjustable master? I dont want to point fingers because I have no reason to as this clutch has been awesome, but if the adjustable master fixes my problems, maybe textralia should look into it at least slightly?

I just moved to a new place and the car has been on hold for a little while, but when I have some extra money to spend, a new adjustable master will go in. If that fixes my problems, the trans will then come out to be rebuilt.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Ugh....

I did not put the original clutch I ordered from you in until about a week or two before I ordered the new aluminum one. The seal went bad literally a few days after I FINALLY put the billet steel one in. Excuse me for originally placing all the blame on the clutch, my mistake, but with the disengagement going south, and the transmission going south shortly after, I figured that must have been the reason. I dont really beat on my car as much as you make it seem.

... you specifically stated over the phone your transmission went out due to heavy street racing
I never said that. I rarely street race my car and go to the track maybe once a month at most. The transmission problem I am having is "typical" according to Six Speeds Inc, though its hard to say how long it would have lasted with or without the clutch issue.

I dont know when I ordered what, but after getting sick of waiting for the aluminum kit, the steel one was reinstalled and I had no issues. The aluminum one sat in my garage in the box it was shipped in for what didnt seem like a long time but I couldnt give you exact dates. After having no issues with my steel one, I figured you'd gladly take it back and ship it to someone who could use it so they wouldnt have to wait forever like I did.

I dont really want to argue anymore and as I have said before I think this is a great clutch. I was also giving advice to people so that they wouldnt have the same problem I did. Because the clutch is so expensive, I thought people would want to hear my experience. You have been as helpful as anyone could ask for and I've always recommended people buy stuff from you. Stop sounding so abrupt j/k

That is fine. I wanted some clarity because in your first post ...

And we're now at ...

... you specifically stated over the phone your transmission went out due to heavy street racing and you had a rear seal leak. As I stated before, if you still have problems give Textralia a call about it. I mean you bought this clutch back in February 2006, ordered the AB kit around Fall 2006 and then asked to send it back in January 2007 for a refund so you would have funds to do your rebuild for the transmission and now we're here at July 2007 and you're still sticking it to the clutch as a problem with a bad transmission. If it is, fine, call me or Textralia instead of constantly posting about the clutch when you are not sure about it.
Not trying to sound abrupt with you but I don't know what else to do. You need to contact Textralia instead of posting issues that may not be clutch related. Thanks and I hope your problem can be solved.

I'll e-mail Textralia this thread also and have them do a search under your name for your posts so they can get an idea of your issue.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

I wouldnt even waste my time with the OZ (not knocking on Text)....everyone gets it and then adds more power and needs more!

Get the Exo Skel from either Young @ Byunspeed, or my shop (MASPORT)...either way, it is THE BEST clutch I have ever used...it is SO nice, and I shift @ 7000 RPM....oo laa laa

Erik
Old 07-21-2007, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Err ... didn't you tell me the trans was being rebuilt from you tearing it up from hard racing and had nothing to do with the clutch? So while waiting to get your trans rebuilt, you ordered an aluminum kit. After a couple months or so, you asked to refund the aluminum kit you received because you put the steel kit you currently have back in the car (trans still wasn't rebuilt at this time from our phone conversation) and have had no problems and now we're having issues again with the clutch?

I am not trying to make you look bad here but I am hearing two different stories now. Let's not blame the clutch if the clutch is not to blame. But if there is a problem you should contact Textralia or me instead of posting a different story I was told over the phone. Feel free to contact me on the phone if I need to be corrected.

As for the initial poster above, I would get the steel kit on. We have those and the LS7 clutch but the LS7 clutch is not going to hold up the nitrous abuse. Thanks!
My trans was destroyed due to my OZ700 dragging as well. Theres alot of people who have problems with the OZ700 dragging with stock hydraulics that ive talked to. myself included. Even with the brand new OZ700 i just put in.

Ive swapped to a McLeod adjustable master and my clutch has disengaged and performed perfectly since then.

I really like the Textralia clutch, but it has dragged on my twice with the stock hydraulics. With a McLeod, its awesome.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Tex is working awesome in my car. I wrapped the clutch line with heater hose and header wrap and all my dragging problems went away. Damn Kook headers not being coated really boiled the fluid. Now I can go back to shifting at 6800 RPMs with a stock master.

Quick Reply: Any reason not to get textralia?