Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Whining noise coming from bell housing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise coming from tranny?

I have a high pitched whining noise coming from what sounds like the bell housing area. It fluctuates with the rpm only in 3rd-6th going 40 mph and up. If I press the clutch in it goes away. My clutch seems to still be ok since I can floor it in 6th and it will not slip.

I just had bunch of stuff fixed on my car, broken valve guide replaced, new set of 4:10s (which only have about 100 miles on them), Borla XR-1 TDs, and got my A/C fixed.

At first I thought it was my gears but it sounds like it is coming from somewhere in front by the engine. I was reading on another thread that bad A/C compressors will make whining noises, but it seems to only sound when the clutch is engaged.

Im hoping it is something small like the pilot bearing. Its getting pretty annoying though any ideas???

Last edited by ws.6kid; 07-23-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ttt...
Old 07-21-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ttt....
Old 07-22-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

TTT... someone has to have had this problem... Could low tranny fluid cause whine in gears 3 and up????
Old 07-23-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Could I have a bad counter shaft bearing?? The whining/whirling sound is getting louder and I can feel the vibration on the shifter when it is making noise. How hard is it to replace the counter shaft bearing? Total rebuild?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can now hear whining in all gears beginning at the top of first. 6th gear is the loudest. Maybe its a bad input shaft bearing now? one problem after another....
Old 07-24-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why did you ask about low fluid? If you ran it low on fluid the bearing between the output and input shafts will go first. Are you sure its not a throw out bearing squeel?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by calhoon
Why did you ask about low fluid? If you ran it low on fluid the bearing between the output and input shafts will go first. Are you sure its not a throw out bearing squeel?
I thought the bearing between the output and input shafts was the counter shaft bearing? I was under the assumption the throw out bearing could only make noise when the clutch is pressed in, in which this isnt the case.

I have also noticed that at speeds above 80 my car starts to vibrate alot. It feels like it may be the tranny or the driveshaft. Just got the whole rear end rebuilt (axels, wheel bearings, new gears)

Last edited by ws.6kid; 07-24-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The countershaft is supported between bearings at the front and back. I would not think these would go out. The input gear has a bearing in the front adapter and a smaller bearing inside where it mates with the output shaft. This is sometimes called a pocket bearing.This pocket bearing is the one that would go first, with a low oil condition. A damaged pilot bearing could give the vibration and maybe lead to the noises you state. A bad pilot bearing will certainly cause a pocket bearing to go bad if it goes on long enough. Either repair( pilot or pocket) will require the trans to come out. In my opinion, I would go through the trans then ,as you've already done alot of the work anyway.

Quick Reply: Whining noise coming from bell housing?