Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How do you guys like your lightweight flywheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you guys like your lightweight flywheels?

I'm on the verge of picking up a lightweight fly to go along with my LS7 clutch. How do you guys like your lightweight flywheels and would you keep it or go back if you had the chance?
Old 07-22-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

It all depends on what you do mainly with your car. Need more details on the setup/driving you do the most.

Chris
Old 07-22-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but its still pretty much still the same topic. We all know that the ls7 setup is heavier that the ls6 that is in most 01+ f-bodies so would't it only be benificial to run a aluminum flywheel with the ls7. Now obviosly its way more expensive but I would think running an aluminum would put you pretty close to the same weight as the ls6. Which would mean you would not have much drivetrain lose and would rev nearly the same as stock. Is anyone out there running an aluminum flywheel with the ls7 clutch? If so how does it compare to stock?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my lightweight clutch setup...37 lbs total. Made a big difference in how it gets up and goes. If I had to do it over, I'd do it again.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonB
Not to hijack the thread but its still pretty much still the same topic. We all know that the ls7 setup is heavier that the ls6 that is in most 01+ f-bodies so would't it only be benificial to run a aluminum flywheel with the ls7. Now obviosly its way more expensive but I would think running an aluminum would put you pretty close to the same weight as the ls6. Which would mean you would not have much drivetrain lose and would rev nearly the same as stock. Is anyone out there running an aluminum flywheel with the ls7 clutch? If so how does it compare to stock?

It revs a little faster, but not super noticable, but still you can tell the difference. Just is harder to launch at the dragstrip..

But now I got slicks, so lets see how well it will do with those.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have an lt1 formula and i tried putting a fidanza aluminum flywheel on my ride. it did rev better and almost seemed harder to slow the car down too...also i felt the rear twist alot more like the wheels were seeing more of what hp the stock motor made . this car is my daily driver.well when i took it back to the shop for something else they told me i shouldnt have it on so i switched it for a stock one but switched out driveshafts to an aluminum inland empire.personally, i loved the feel of the aluminum flywheel. from a roll- it was great and i didnt notice any major difference in getting going from a stop but my experience with it is strictly street driven. i would swear the power hit the wheels alot better with it though.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

What about a lightweight flywheel/clutch? Would both make it unbearable on the street? Stock engine? How about a cammed motor?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

i like my lightweight flywheel setup. i think the aspect of my setup that makes it tricky to drive is the solid disc clutch. no slipping built in. so its all or nothing with the pedal.