Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Spec Stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Spec Stage 2

Just installed my new Spec Stage 2 clutch yesterday after my Stage 3 went (and I realized the 3 was probably overkill considering I put down less than 400 ft lbs to the wheels and don't plan on breaking that mark anytime soon).

The install went pretty smoothly minus the part where we got everything back together and realized the spacer for the slave cylinder was still in the box. My brother, who installed the last clutch, says that he installed the spacer that came with the last one and it should be fine since we surely didn't take that one off at any point (although at first neither of us, this was a different guy helping me with the install, could remember if we saw the old one on there or not, so we freaked out that we were going to have to do it all over again...).

Anyways, the only problem/usual part about it is that it engages VERY close to the floor and feels a little bit soft. We bled it today, but maybe we need to do it more as it didn't really change the feel at all. I literally get MAYBE half an inch of play off the floor before it engages, so that will take some getting used to as my old one had a lot of space to let it out before it caught.

It engages very smoothly; no chatter or other problems besides a broken clutch pedal return spring that I just found (anyone know where to get one besides gmpartsdirect? They want like $25 for it ). I am working on the break-in period, which I was told by Spec to make closer to 1,000 miles rather than the 500 that they told me for the Stage 3. These next 900 miles are going to KILL me !

Just thought you guys might like a review! I'm EXTREMELY curious to see how it holds up to 4500 RPM launches at the track once broken in. I was told it should hold fine, but they also said it doesn't like hot-lapping a lot. We'll see what happens!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man Iam in the same boat as you just swap to a stage 2 and yes it very close to the floor as you break in the clutch it will start to come out, but so far its holding up it bites pretty good but a little nervice because my car is in the shop for more mods and hope it will hold. But this is my last Spec Clutch the stage 3+ was all good which I had before the stage 2 but it did'nt last long I'm used to it lasting 2-4yrs+ so my next one is the mcleod 600 or 800 series disk but untill then I'm curious on how the stage 2 will hold let me know how you turn out. By the way nice Z
Old 07-22-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! Yeah, I'm really waiting to see how it will hold (I've got a mild H/C setup, a little over 400 through the 12-bolt once it gets tuned hopefully). My Stage 3 did not last long at all, some of which I attribute to me not knowing how to drive a six-speed very well when I first got it, but my brother (ASE certified technician) had the same problem with the same car/clutch, so who knows. The Spec guys told me this one should last a lot longer since it is a full disc of kevlar on both sides, as opposed to the puck style metallic material.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

yea my stage 3+ I had to pull out and what really pissed me off was that the disk and plate looked fine might had got some hot spots but the tech at spec said it looks good and can be rebuild so I thought before buying another clutch rebuild it and reuse it I only got 3500 good miles then it started sliping but just a thought i was nervice putting in the stage 2 because at the time I was on a tight budget.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine is going in this weekend. any good writeups for the install of a spec that you guys found?

Quick Reply: New Spec Stage 2