Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Z06 clutch woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 clutch woes

Alright, my car is completely stock on the drivetrain department.
Now, if I have the windows down, radio off, and it's relatively quiet out, and I start a slow takeoff there is a clicking sound (for lack of a better word) that comes from up under my car. Always, every gear I start off in (1st 2nd or reverse, ha ha). I've even heard it on my 1st - 2nd shift when I drive like a grandpa through my neighborhood.
That's the first problem
Next - It's gotten to where I swear I don't think my clutch is disengaging all the way. Like, I'll have my foot all the way to the floor, pressing as hard as I can, and it is still tough (as in, more difficult than it used to be) to get the tranny to change gears. I don't think it is a synchro because it is upshifts, downshifts, and every gate. It's gotten more and more frequent to the point I remember when it DOESN'T do it. Not when it DOES. Getting it in gear, it's like, hmmmmm, like very very VERY notchy, I guess you would say. It used to not be like that. My 2000 SS wasn't like that. No other T-56 in good condition feels like this. So maybe it's the clutch and the tranny, which I hope it isn't.
Any thoughts from anyone?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Anyone have any thoughts at all?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Teching In

I had something very very similar happen on my stock Trans Am clutch.

One of the plugs used to line up the bellhousing came loose and fell down into the bellhousing and was rattling around. It ended up bending the clutch and pressure plate and progressively got harder and harder to shift, like you're describing. It got to where it would not shift into reverse if the car was running. Finally it gave way completely and you couldn't shift at all.

I would take it apart and look at it, or take it to a shop and have them open it up and look. Sounds like your clutch is going out.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

How many miles on the car? How long since the clutch/slave has been changed?