Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How many times can you machine a flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many times can you machine a flywheel?

The flywheel is off a 95 5.7 Chevy SBC w/ the TBI motor out of a 3500 truck. It has now been machined twice that we know of and we don't know how much has been taken off each time. The clutch will not disengage and absolutley EVERYTHING has been replaced including all hydraulics and even THE HYDRAULIC HOSE. The system has been professionaly bled and has a perfect pedal with full pressure. The flywheel is either over machined, linkage is not setup right (fork/throwoutbearing) or somehow someway the disk was put in backwards by us. There is no freaking way I put that thing in backwards. It just isn't logical but hey I have to consider it a possibility. I have a mental picture in my head though of not having it backwards so I'm really thinking linkage/flywheel machining. The entire pedal travel moves the fork the entire way back (nearly 1 1/2 inches of fork travel which should disengage the flywheel.

WOULD THIS MACHINE SHOP NOT KNOW IF IT WAS OVERMACHINED OR THEY JUST DO WHAT YOU ASK THEM TO DO?

HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU TYPICALLY MACHINE A FLYWHEEL?

Thanks for all replies guys. The truck is headed to a tranny shop tomorrow because we are at the end of our rope. Sad to since I've done about 4 clutches on fbodys in my area and never had a problem.

Josh
Old 07-26-2007, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

ttt...
Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

depending on how much they take off, you could get away with turning it twice but I personally wouldn't do it or trust one that has been turned twice.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

thanks man...anyone else have any input...?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think when you machine the flywheel, the shop is supposed to tell you how much they took off so you can put in an appropriate shim. Machining it past spec only makes the flywheel too weak and too prone to heat and warpage. If you shimmed/adjusted your throwout mechanism correctly, it should still disengage the clutch no matter how thin your flywheel is.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:25 PM
FormerVendor

Warpage and weakening are important but if the flywheel is too thin it will not maintain the appropriate geometry for the clutch assembly. This will lead to slippage. As mentioned above you can shim an over-machined flywheel but why take the risk. If the flywheel has been machined more than once it should probably be replaced. With an Lt1 flywheel you have about .030 max. to work with. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks man. This is just a work truck and we knew it had been machine once and this was the second time. We are taking it to a shop where it will be dropped diagnosed and fixed for $275 labor. I just don't have the time to drop it anymore. I already have about 20+ hours in messing with damn thing and I drive an hour round trip to **** with it everytime I go since its in my hometown which is 30 minutes away.

Quick Reply: How many times can you machine a flywheel?