Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Crazy noise, video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crazy noise, video inside.

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...t=a70c24bb.flv

This started a few weeks ago, the noise and conditions have changed slightly over that time. When this first happened I would get a strange noise only while slowing down in gear. The noise I heard was nothing like whats in the vid. Then it started jerking a little when slowing at certain points. Would not happen when clutch was in or in neutral. After a while it would do it no matter what. Now it only does it when in gear and under acceleration or decel. It almost sounds like the drive shaft is bouncing off of something. I put in a new drive shaft yesterday and it didnt help. There are no marks on drive shaft to indicate it making contact with something. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Something similar to this was happening to me, the problem ended up being a zip tie back by the rear that was ticking on the driveshaft like the wheel of fortune. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I could only wish it was a zip tie. It vibrates through the whole car. Im stumped. Ive been all over this car with a stethascope (sp). The only place I really hear it is through the shifter and when I pull up the cover and put it on the trans.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Check your pm Jim
Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

TTT.....Any other guesses?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost sounds like the y-pipe hitting the floor board. i'm sure you have checked that tho
Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Almost sounds like the y-pipe hitting the floor board. i'm sure you have checked that tho
Yep, checked that. I have SLP LT's. I have plenty of clearance. I know it sounds like a drive shaft/ Y-pipe banging issue. It sounds like its coming from the trans though. Im baffled. Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Hi, Kinda sounds like a miss-fire with an exaust leak. Are the spark plugs tight? I've had spark plugs work loose & made that kinda sound. Just guessing. I think you were at idle, stopped by the end of the clip. If your really shure is somewhere in the drive train. I don't know what it's called. There is a long bar going from the front to the rear end along side the driveshaft. The 2 bolts by the center of the rear end, on the bar comming from the front, are they tight? On the front of the bar there is a rubber mount. That ok? Dave

Last edited by locodave46; 07-29-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesnt sound like something that would come from a misfire or exhaust leak... It doesnt sound RPM dependent. Gets faster/louder as you accelerate.

It really sounds like something is hitting something. Did you check your trans mount? Maybe its almost broken....and is being noisy as the driveshaft speeds up.

Since it doesnt sound like its RPM depedent, I dont think its in the clutch. And it sounds too far forward to be the rear busting up...

Its possible you have something going ugly in the trans. What do you feel in the shifter? Anything transmitting through it?

Justin
Old 07-29-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

The shifter feels fine. You can feel it in the pedals, floor, and under the seat. It sounds way worse than whats in the video. It sounds like the drive shaft is banging something really hard. When I check it there are no marks on it. Thanks for all your replies!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK.

Lets break it down into what we know.

It makes the noise when in gear...and it does it during accel and decel right?

But with the clutch in, or when in neutral...even while moving, it doesnt do it?

And you are feeling it in the pedals and under your seat. I just cant think of anything it could be other than a broken mount, driveshaft hitting something, or fubared trans.

Haha Im literally sitting here thinkin about all the things that could possibly be making that sort of racket under the car.

Have you tried jacking up the rear and putting it on stands, and running through the gears with it like that? I mean, that would make it tons easier to figure out where the noise is coming from. Would probably be my next step before driving it too much more.

J.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
OK.

Lets break it down into what we know.

It makes the noise when in gear...and it does it during accel and decel right?

But with the clutch in, or when in neutral...even while moving, it doesnt do it?

And you are feeling it in the pedals and under your seat. I just cant think of anything it could be other than a broken mount, driveshaft hitting something, or fubared trans.

Haha Im literally sitting here thinkin about all the things that could possibly be making that sort of racket under the car.

Have you tried jacking up the rear and putting it on stands, and running through the gears with it like that? I mean, that would make it tons easier to figure out where the noise is coming from. Would probably be my next step before driving it too much more.

J.
You are exactly right.

Ive had the car on jack stands with the drivetrain spinning. You can only really hear it in 3rd and up when up on stands. Its very faint in lower gears. The problem with that is the noise echoes off of the ground and it sounds like its coming from everywhere. I got under there with a stethoscope, and everything is silent with the steth. I only was able to reach the tail housing of the trans with the steth. I can hear it fairly well with the shift boot peeled back and the steth on the trans from up top. When on the ground with load on the car its very apparent from the moment the car moves.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh... If it is the trans, what do you think it could be? Several others and I are baffled. Never heard anything like this before. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok...so its definetly a load noise then. One thing Ive learned about unibody cars since owning them, is since there are no bushings insulating the body from the chassis, any noise that goes on in the driveline gets tranmitted into weird places, and its kinda hard sometimes to track it.

Since its most noticable when there is a load, I might even venture to guess the rear could be making the noise. Honestly, I have no idea what inside of the trans would make that sort of racket. Thats something that Amber or someone over at Six Speed Inc. could probably help you with...might shoot them a message.

But I can think of times when the rear could make noises like that. Might not be a horrible Idea to pop the cover and have a look around. Are you running the stock 10bolt?? Did you put your stethescope back on the pumpkin to see if it was louder back there than up on the trans? When you coast, the noise seems to get alittle quieter...which could be just the rear riding on the coast side of the gear set. Might have a busted tooth on the ring gear or something. When that broke, and started floating around inside the rear, that could have caused the "jerking" you were describing. Just a thought...

I would just try to eliminate every single possibility before thinking about it being the trans. Then it gets kinda ugly.

Justin

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 07-30-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:10 PM

I agree with ghettocruiser. That is exactly what my 10 bolt sounded like when I broke a tooth off of the pinion. I was just driving normal sown the road when all of a sudden I heard a pop and then the same sound on your video. Mine kept getting worse and worse on the way to the house. It started to jerk harder and harder. But I could definately feel mine in the rear end. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound in the video would lead me to believe the output shaft is bent. The only problem with making that assumption would be that I can't with 100% certainty tell you that is it. The noise sounded like an engine misfire but that wouldn't be like that.

What clutch? If also could be a puck on the disk came loose or is missing. Hard to tell with the video but if you used a stethoscope and it is from the trans area i lean towards output shaft.

Amber

PS: Are there any leaks and how old is the clutch?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:56 PM
FormerVendor

I agree with ghetocruiser. Pull the rear cover. That would be easy to do and easy to rule out. If no issues you are looking at a major trans problem for sure. If it is a output shaft then it is eating itself from the noise. My suggestion would be NOT TO DRIVE it until you figure out if it is the rear end.

Amber
Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking it was clutch at first...but it doesnt seem to change with RPM. When he shifts it just gets louder and faster. I would think if the clutch fell apart, it would change frequency when he shifted.

Output shaft is a good point Amber... I just dont know enough about the insides of the T-56 to picture what can fail in there. How does an output shaft get bent??? Is it something that can happen due to wear? Or is it a hard driving type of failure?

Breaking Stuff: you'll be able to tell right away if somethin the rear went bye bye. The fluid will have a bunch of metal in it, and you might even find a few decent sized chunks sitting in there. If you spin things over and dont find broken teeth, check the posi unit out and see if anything flew apart in there... like one of the clutches or something.

Im really curious to hear what you find out and what the problem was!

Justin
Old 07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
FormerVendor

Justin,

Normally the output shafts either bend when the splines get stripped off or they break when there is a weak point. Usually the break right at the 5/6 driven gear. Seen it only a hand full of times but if it was bent he might not be aware. Joes was twisted in the race car and we didn't know it unit we couldn't get the gears off. Twisted just enough to cause me a nightmare. If it was broken most likely it will leak. Other than that the noise stumps me

Amber
Old 07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about a cracked driveshaft? Maybee it is only making the noise when it is under load. (no noise on jackstands)

Just a idea.