Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 major problems need help???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 major problems need help???

Last night i was racin some built 5.0s and made the great mistake of dropin from 3rd to 2nd instead of goin to 4th yea i know. Well now i can smell exhaust fumes somethin horrible and i believe the tranny is knockin but i drove it 30 min home that night and all the gears shifted fine, my clutch seemed normall but the car idles at 500 rpms the whole motor and tranny shake and its knockin but i cant pin point it. I really hope u guys can help me out? thanks in advance. Oh and by the way i pulled 2-3 cars on the built stangs and got it on tape to so it was still a good night
Old 07-28-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

check for bent pushrods in the engine...most likely not a trans problem.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ping King
check for bent pushrods in the engine...most likely not a trans problem.
I didnt know if this was a motor problem i have the car on jack stands and i crawled underneath while running and the knock was most noticable right where the tranny is in b/w the y pipe and the car has 91k on it and drove great on the way home that night everything was normal. Im not to familiar with tearin down an ls1 yet how much would this type of fix be?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if youre mechanically inclined, its easy to check pushrods. Thats the most commonly destroyed part in 3-4 mis shifts
Old 07-29-2007, 03:48 PM
wrencher

Yup agree pushrods likely bent.
you mechanically forced an over-rev.
Is the SES light on & flashing? (if your misfire codes are not tune'd out)
Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Launching!

I did that and i had the lifter holddown spider assy bend and spun two lifter on the cam.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrencher
Yup agree pushrods likely bent.
you mechanically forced an over-rev.
Is the SES light on & flashing? (if your misfire codes are not tune'd out)
Yes sir the light is on and flashing then stays on for a min and flashes again im sure u guys are right and thanks for ur help would this cause the tranny to knock at all cuz i have the car on jack stands and looked at it while running and the knock is very distinct out of the tranny area but with the exhaust leak i cant be underneath there very long. Ill just do the common sense issue and have the codes read and pull the motor i guess. Time to do a rebuild
Old 07-29-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ping King
if youre mechanically inclined, its easy to check pushrods. Thats the most commonly destroyed part in 3-4 mis shifts
Im not the most internally mechanically inclined and a newbie to these motors just exactly how can i tell if thats for sure the problem w/o reading the codes?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like bent pushrods
Old 07-29-2007, 10:20 PM
wrencher

It is not a big deal ro get to the valve train. Just remove the coil bracket assemblies on each vavle cover. I connector & 5 10mm bolts per side. The back bolts are a clittle hard to access. the plug wires need to get removed/disconnected as well.

Then remove the 3 8mm bolts that retain the valve covers.
Then you have the rocker arms, need to remove the rockers & check all the push rods. just roll them on a smooth surface. The damaged ones will be obvious.
make sure you observe the proper torque specs upon reassembly.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrencher
It is not a big deal ro get to the valve train. Just remove the coil bracket assemblies on each vavle cover. I connector & 5 10mm bolts per side. The back bolts are a clittle hard to access. the plug wires need to get removed/disconnected as well.

Then remove the 3 8mm bolts that retain the valve covers.
Then you have the rocker arms, need to remove the rockers & check all the push rods. just roll them on a smooth surface. The damaged ones will be obvious.
make sure you observe the proper torque specs upon reassembly.
wow i took my rods out 6 of the 16 rods were extremely bent and the others might of had a slight bend that i couldnt notice so i got all new rods, plugs, and plug wires while i had crap torn apart i will let everyone know if my probems go away.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i got the new rods, plugs, and wires in yesterday and wat a pain in the the back 2 plug wires are on the passenger side to get to. I had a 2000 z28 that seemed much easier when i did that one now my 1998 sucked. Anyways the motor runs smooth and great now but we also discovered the chatter as i suspected was a bearing out in the tranny. I guess its time to give sixspeedsinc a call.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i know this is an old post but i never kept everyone updated. I forgot to explain that even after replacing the rods the internals of my tranny are still fu barred. So i am sending it to sixspeedsinc and letting the pros build it.