Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Gear oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default T-56 Gear oil change question

I have a T-56 with 36k on the original clutch which works fine, and I will upgrade eventually. I havent decided when, as of yet. In the mean time. I have a leak under the car and I do not beleive its Engine oil related, rather its trans related. I have custom DS that was measured for a 4L60e in a 94 z28 mated to a Moser 12 bolt.

I kept the rear and DS and just resued. There wasnt much slip travel in the DS, actually it was a pain in the *** to get in.

I beleive it maybe pushing on a seal and fluid is leaking. The tranny maybe low on fluid. I know if I pull out the consol I can take the shifter out and fill it from there.

My question is do I just undo the drain plug and let it come out, no tilting or dropping the transmission cross member. The refill until it strarts to come out the drail plug, and reseal?

As stated, I will do a clutch, I dont know when. I also have over 35k on the current oil so I want to do the matence. Is regular ATF ok, or is there something recommended. Ive read and have been told to stay away from synthetics which is fine, but any insight is appreciated.

More to the point, can I have the front end jacked up, or does it have to be level, is there a preference, or requirement
Old 07-31-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fluid: I stick with Dextron 3 as recommended by GM
Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Internet Mechanic

Thats what I thought, any advise on draining. at a angle or do it level??
Old 07-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Launching!

I did mine on the level. I believe that is the best way to get the correct fill.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Internet Mechanic

Thats what I thought, the only time ive worked on T-56's (clutch swaps) we always did it level, on a lift. thanks!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PureWS6
Fluid: I stick with Dextron 3 as recommended by GM

+1...
Old 08-01-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive never done it but thats the only way ive ever heard of people doing it.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Teching In

You can do it two ways without removing your console. Use a (Performance Tool) hand operated transfer pump, which can be found at most autoparts stores or summit. As stated, you will need to level the car as best as possible on jack stands (if you don't have a lift) to top off the fluid level through the driver-side fill plug. (Just an afterthought - its a good idea to use a little liquid teflon sealer on the plug too.) If you don't want to add to your exsisting fluid because you aren't comfortable with the way the car is leveled or method of "topping off", drain the old fluid and refill using the transfer pump or a bulb syrenge or turkey baster through the fill hole and you should use up 4 quarts or a little less because of residual fluid in the transmission. It calls for 4.1 quarts when dry. I hope that adds help.