Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SFI Bell Housing M6

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SFI Bell Housing M6

only brand I can find is Mcleod. Byunspeed as them but had 1 review, bad! so I'm wanting to know what other brand names for T56 m6 bell housing ya'll using and where did ya'll purchase it at? any info guys will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Browell Bellhousings Custom with adapter plate
$1900.00
Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

so no m6 guy owners are using SFI bell housing on the trans!!!!!

anybody hear about lakewood bell housing ?????????????
Old 08-09-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Surley there is an more affordable option?????? I hope so
Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Teching In

McLeod modular. Its roughly 500 bucks or less depending upon where you buy it. Don't expect it to be a bolt in, some mods are required.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:07 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff F
McLeod modular. Its roughly 500 bucks or less depending upon where you buy it. Don't expect it to be a bolt in, some mods are required.

Well that's what he's asking.

Everybody whos gone over the issue, knows that piece is generic as hell. Any number of mods/variables are bound to get in the way, and make it anything but bolt in.

If you have some DIY skills and air tools, then yeah. But plan to spend a few hours on it.

It's a nice piece and all, but not anything close to being bolt in.

Six Speed, any pictures of that Browell Unit?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

found one in Summit Racing by Lakewood for $369.95 anybody using or know of this brand? any info will be appreciated....

realy guys.. ya'll telling me evryone of ya'll with M6 is using stock bell housing and ya'll race with it!! SCARY !!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 04:54 PM
FormerVendor

The lakewood one is for a Muncie 4 speed or Ford top loader. They made it for the circle track crowd. Lakewood did not have a t56 scatter shield last time I checked.

I will see if I can get some pics of mine.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If this is strictly for safety, you could make the Mcleod work, but if you really need to pass track inspection, isn't the SFI cert void if the piece is modified (such as cutting and grinding to make it fit)?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:48 PM
FormerVendor

I was told that the only way to void the SFI sticker was to cut it in half and weld it back together, some minor grinding is not going to effect the SFI rating. The Mcleod is a good piece , but it just would not work for my set up. It doesn't fit perfect but it will save your feet!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 03:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

According to the sticker, (not an lsx, but still a t56) ANY modification, including grinding, cutting, or welding, as well as painting over anything could ruin SFI cert. I HOPE you are right, but I would hate to find out the hard way at a track inspection.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

well guys I appreciate ya'lls input but, yes it is for safety/piece of mind. plus I would like to keep my legs/feet intact.. I just wonder why arent there more different brands out there, especially with some of the horse power out there!! I mean. I know most are street driven with +400rwhp but, is anybody concerned about this? other then me?? how do ya'll feel about using stock bell housing with 400rwhp or more?

good point about voiding the SFI if modifing bell housing to fit T56 tranny to LSx. especially if McCleod says u need to grind to fit?????

fuersaws6
Old 08-14-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the mcleod bellhousing. Mine did need some cutting to clear the QTP headers I had. The problem is mainly the dual starter mounts they put on it. The drivers side starter mount gets in the way of most exhaust setups, so it has to be cut off.

And my sticker says you cant cut, weld, grind, etc or it will void the SFI certification. For me I didnt care since I only go to the track 2-3 times a year. I mainly wanted it to save my feet in case my clutch blew up.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a McLeod in my other car (not my Z28, but my LS1/T56 95 Impala SS)...for me it worked out fine as I was custom fabbing all my exhaust and such in that car anyways. It took me FOREVER to get it as I guess I ordered it right when McLeod was changing ownership (far as I know B&M bought them)...but it's a good part. I haven't gotten the car running yet...but I know it all fits.

I'm not so concerned with RWHP as I am with RPM...when I step on that clutch pedal and the tach is close to 7000 RPM...I'm going to be happy knowing if something happens, I won't lose my legs...and I might even be able to save the car too. A friend of mine had his flywheel blow on his T56 in his C3 Vette (T56 conversion)...he was lucky that he didn't get hurt when the parts came out the side of the car...but his car did burn to the ground .

I'm still looking for a blanket for the main case of the T56...I've seen a couple guys blow them up too...usually a lot less shrapnel, but still scary stuff since it's right next to my legs and there's only a thin floorpan between that and me.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I run a McLeod bellhousing. I did not have to do anything to the bellhousing, but I did have to:

-grind on the oil pan to make the area flat with the block face
-get some different M10x1.5 allen head screws (bellhousing came with SAE, not metric, screws - stoopid me didn't figure that out until I'd boogered 2 holes in the block... I also got a helicoil kit too )
-grind my starter nose down some so it would make it in the hole of the bellhousing

Other than that, it fit fine with my Grot headers. I also took a small socket and left it on the end of the bleeder on the slave bearing, because you can't get a socket on there after it's installed, but you can jimmy an extension in there. I drilled a 1/2" hole in my floorboard near the gas pedal so I can bleed my clutch by myself.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

I have raced at a lot of NHRA track all over the country and none of them have ever asked about my bellhousing or looked to see if I had an SFI sticker on it. The clutch can was more of a piece of mind thing for me. I talked to some of the SFI people a year ago and asked how they test the Bellhousing, he said they run the test rig up to 8000 rpm with a flywheel that has been cut like a pizza, and then they pulse the rpm until the flywheel explodes. It costs about $1200 to run the test. The can must contain all of the pieces. Although the biggest problem is that it usually shears all the bolts and dowel pins off the block when the failure occurs.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah...I've seen the failure take the back of the block off as it chucks the bellhousing...but it's still a LOT better than losing my feet.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Camaroholic]I run a McLeod bellhousing. I did not have to do anything to the bellhousing, but I did have to:

-grind on the oil pan to make the area flat with the block face
-get some different M10x1.5 allen head screws (bellhousing came with SAE, not metric, screws - stoopid me didn't figure that out until I'd boogered 2 holes in the block... I also got a helicoil kit too )
-grind my starter nose down some so it would make it in the hole of the bellhousing

QUOTE]

yea, ditto what andrew said, took me about a hour in all to fit it up
Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

well, I like what I'm reading do far. McCleod bell housing seems to be the only one out there. unless somebody can tell me the web site for any other ones. hell, some grinding just to keep my feet aint so bad.. got one question for ya'll using McCleod bellhousing. did ya'll need tot grind any off that ya'll think might weakin the bell housing??

thanks for ya'll reply. realy helps.....

thanks again guys

Quick Reply: SFI Bell Housing M6