Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with new T56 install

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new T56 install

Just intalled a rebuilt T56 in my 2000 T/A. Got everything buttoned up and started er up. Had the tranny in neutral and let off the clutch and it went backwards. I stuck it in 1st and nothing except bogging down and dies. Doesn't even try to go forward. Same with all the other gears except reverse. Seems to be stuck in reverse. I put in 4 qts of Royal Purple during the install so should have plenty of oil. Something I'm missing here or am I going to have to yank this piece of crap and send it back?
Tony
Old 08-11-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

It will need to come out and be disassembled. I've seen it before where the snap-ring that holds the reverse shift fork has either come off or was never installed and this is what happens. Without the snap-ring once reverse is selected there is nothing to "pull" the fork the opposite direction when you take it out of reverse. The reason it stalls in all forward gears is because the transmission is in a bind (it's in forward and reverse at the same time).
Old 08-12-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Yep, it will definetely need to come out. Seems like something was put together incorrectly. The shift rail is very tricky to get in correctly, could be that. Who put it together for you?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a clutch issue. Not sure who rebuilt it but they should have tested it. We test everything that leaves our shop to make sure that exact thing can't happen. That is one way we know for 100% when ours leave they are functioning and it would not be a trans problem. Did the place that rebuild it test it? If not they should have and they would have picked up this issue ahead of time.

Amber

Quick Reply: Help with new T56 install