Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing disintegrated while using the proper puller....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pilot bearing disintegrated while using the proper puller....

What now? I've tried to pull it about 10 times and the puller teeth keep slipping ooff the edge. Any suggestions?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

OK I used the search and it seems like at this point I am forced to go the hammer and flat screw driver route. Cripes .... I buy the right tool and it doesn't work! It worked like a charm the last time!!
Old 08-18-2007, 06:43 PM
tc3
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o boy... yea... i used the kent moore j tool when i did mine at work... works like ****, I did the hammer thing and got a good amount through it, and then another tech stepped in and continued and then used an awl on it to pry it up little by little... The biggest pain in the *** ever... not even worth it.

goodluck!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tc3
o boy... yea... i used the kent moore j tool when i did mine at work... works like ****, I did the hammer thing and got a good amount through it, and then another tech stepped in and continued and then used an awl on it to pry it up little by little... The biggest pain in the *** ever... not even worth it.

goodluck!
Tell me about it! The one I had in there was just over a year old and only had 4K miles on it. I'm changing the clutch because my slave started leaking and ruined the last one. I should have just greased the old bearing and left it there.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StevieZ
Tell me about it! The one I had in there was just over a year old and only had 4K miles on it. I'm changing the clutch because my slave started leaking and ruined the last one. I should have just greased the old bearing and left it there.

I had the same experience once. I finally took a grinder to the puller to sharpen the edges so it would grab better.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:32 AM
wrencher

It sucks when they sieze up like that.
I have had many over the years that required a carbide bit to cut it away to remove.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
I had the same experience once. I finally took a grinder to the puller to sharpen the edges so it would grab better.

+2 I used a bench grinder on one of the hook adapters my slide hammer kit came with....once I modified it I hade the old bearing out in 2 minutes...would've been quicker if the bearing didn't shatter after the first minute
Old 08-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Launching!

i tried grinding the hooks to work with my situation but they broke off. then i had to take a hammer and chisel to bust out the bearing. worse damn part of the clutch install.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I have NEVER gotten one of these out without destroying it. First time we tore it up with the puller and then used a hammer & chisel to crack the housing. Then it came right out. Second time (had to replace my crank freeze plug a month later) a puller worked but still tore the bearing up.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

In the end , I drilled, hammered, broke 2 drill bits and 2 screw drivers, and after getting a hole right through with the 3rd bit, I used the puller again and it came out ! I'll post a pic of what it looks like as soon as I can. Now I am having a bitch of a time getting the tranny back in. No lift and no 2nd set of hands. I can't get the shaft to go into the pilot bearing. F#%kin pain in the ***!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Launching!

dude, grab a friend or 2. i tried that **** too and got nowhere fast. just a tad bit of advice before you get under there again: take one of the tranny-bellhousing bolts to the hardware store and grab a bolt of the same width and thread count but a little longer (half inch maybe). you may not need it but it's great to have when the "guides" between the tranny and bellhousing decide not to let you push it on the rest of the way. just thread it in the hole till they start squeezing together. do it evenly to all the holes till you can put the actual bolts in place. but if you don't need to, that's even better.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Furious_George
dude, grab a friend or 2. i tried that **** too and got nowhere fast. just a tad bit of advice before you get under there again: take one of the tranny-bellhousing bolts to the hardware store and grab a bolt of the same width and thread count but a little longer (half inch maybe). you may not need it but it's great to have when the "guides" between the tranny and bellhousing decide not to let you push it on the rest of the way. just thread it in the hole till they start squeezing together. do it evenly to all the holes till you can put the actual bolts in place. but if you don't need to, that's even better.
I know a second or even 3rd set of hands does wonders. I've done clutch installs a few times and managed putting the tranny back in once on my own but I think this time I will push the car to the garage right next door and put it on the lift and use the tranny jack instead of beating myself up unerneath the car

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing disintegrated while using the proper puller....