Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

PLEASE READ if you are planning on installing a Ram Twin Disc

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *PICS* PLEASE READ if you are planning on installing a Ram Twin Disc *PICS*

After installing my Ram Twin Disc, starting up the car and having issues with it engaging BEFORE I let out on the pedal I called Ram to see what is going on. In the instructions is says to torque the pressure plate to the metal and nylon stands (3 each) to 30ft lbs. The floater plate rides back on fourth on these stands and if the floater plate binds up it will cause issues...I have one of these issues.

After talking with tech at Ram they told me they just updated their torque specs to 20ft lbs on the nylon stands...wtf. So, now I have to take everything back apart and see if the floater plate is binding up on the nylon stands (probably is) and if the nylon stands have been "squished" I should not use them. Luckly Ram includes 3 extra metal stands...which could cause a lil bit of noise at idle using all 6 metal stands. That's fine with me, I just WISH the instructions for the clutch were updated, just got the clutch in 2 days ago so it's not like it's the first batch made. In the instructions it says do not use all 6 metal stands unless it's for race only, tech told me it will just cause a lil bit of noise...

Ok, so I just wanted to warn some of u about this. Now I have to get back out in the garage and rip it all apart again.

Last edited by Screamin_Z; 08-25-2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 08-24-2007, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Damn, that sucks man. I know how you feel. I just got done installing a mcleod street twiin in my ws6 today. The damn master cylinder gave more trouble than the trans did. Oh, and by the way, i have all metal stands and have no noise whatsoever. Hope that helps. Good luck with the twin
Old 08-24-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey thanks, I don't see it making too much noise since the tolorance is so small from the floater plate to the metal stands. If it does I don't think it will be too much noise.

after taking the tranny out and pressure plate off (again) looking at the nylon stands...it does look like they were causing the issue...I hope. on each of the nylon stands there is a small cut aboud 1/2" long, hopefully that was the floater plate getting "stuck" and causing my issue. the torque wrench I have isn't an expensive one so I probably did over torque the stands just a lil bit but from what Ram was telling me 30ft lbs is too much and that's their falt. I took some pics of the nylon stands but I'm too tired to mess with it, plus I'm about to go relieve some stress with beer and friends

I'll post the pics up later and update u guys on my progress tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

just and update.

got the car back on the ground for the second time about an hour ago and went for a test spin... note the first time I didn't even make it out the garage. it works great, very smooth, no chatter what-so-ever, I hardly have to give it any gas to start moving from a stop. now, there is a lil bit of noise at idle when the clutch is disengaged from using all 6 metal stands but I cannot hear it inside the car unless the windows are down.

so, that was the problem...the 3 nylon/composite stands. if u plan on using the 3 nylon/composite stands PLEASE get a VERY good torque wrench and ONLY go to 20ft lbs on them and then 30ft lbs on the 3 remaining metal stands.

here is the Ram Street Twin Disc

how much it weighs

this is the 3 nylon/composite stands I was talking about...u can see the 3 cuts in them from the floater plate after being TQ'd too much

another view of the stands with the cuts

overall I'm happy with the clutch even tho I just started driving it. I just wish Ram had some way of letting me know the change with the TQ spec on the stands so I wouldn't have gone thru this.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

O ya , well you might want to pull it all apart in 1,500 miles anyway and check for this

This was on a Ram twin disk too. 1500 miles and never been to a track.
The first phone call to ram, they said that i didn't torque it correctley. I told them that i followed their instructions. THey said they done give instructions, lol. I had to dig out the box and wave the paper in the phone to prove him wrong. 80 lbs star pattern. Then after the next two phone calls they said that i should have used Arp bolts and torque them to 100 lbs. Even though there instructions say otherwise.

If I were you I would buy a Mcleod scatter shield ASAP. But be prepared it doesn't bolt right in, even though its for a ls1. Grind the **** out of it.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow man, now I'm a lil freaked out. how did u discover that? in their instructions it says 75-85ft lbs...I took mine to 80.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just by dumb luck, we pulled the trany to replace the 2nd gear block ring and syncro. The clutch had been not be as stop light friendly as when we first put it in. So we decided to check it while we were in there. Glad we did! I didnt have a scatter shield at that point.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roadtrip120
O ya , well you might want to pull it all apart in 1,500 miles anyway and check for this

This was on a Ram twin disk too. 1500 miles and never been to a track.
The first phone call to ram, they said that i didn't torque it correctley. I told them that i followed their instructions. THey said they done give instructions, lol. I had to dig out the box and wave the paper in the phone to prove him wrong. 80 lbs star pattern. Then after the next two phone calls they said that i should have used Arp bolts and torque them to 100 lbs. Even though there instructions say otherwise.

If I were you I would buy a Mcleod scatter shield ASAP. But be prepared it doesn't bolt right in, even though its for a ls1. Grind the **** out of it.

Good luck
I can't quite tell what is going on, are you missing a FW bolt?

The shop that put my last clutch in didn't tighten the FW bolts enough and when my clutch stop disengaging I pulled it all and found two FINGER-TIGHT FW bolts!! I put the next clutch in myself, and only went to about 80ft-lbs on a LS6 clutch.

Could a loose FW bolt, combined with the extra play btween crank and FW, possibly destroy the thrust bearing inside the motor?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
I can't quite tell what is going on, are you missing a FW bolt?

The shop that put my last clutch in didn't tighten the FW bolts enough and when my clutch stop disengaging I pulled it all and found two FINGER-TIGHT FW bolts!! I put the next clutch in myself, and only went to about 80ft-lbs on a LS6 clutch.

Could a loose FW bolt, combined with the extra play btween crank and FW, possibly destroy the thrust bearing inside the motor?
I cannot answer ur question but he is not missing a FW bolt. that hole is for aligning up the flywheel and crank up correctly. ur supposed to use a flywheel tool to do so.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ if you are planning on installing a Ram Twin Disc