Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch/hyd/starting problems

Old 08-31-2007, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/hyd/starting problems

I'll try to keep this somewhat short. 95 Z28, m6, obviously.

A couple of months ago, at a stop light, the car refused to go into any gear. I turned it off, and it then went into any gear. Basically what is/was happening is the clutch isn't fully disengaging from the flywheel. I searched, and searched the boards, and 95% of people said it was the hydraulics. I looked at my resivoir, it was dry, and my master cyl was leaking. I replaced the hydraulics,with a bench bled master/line/slave assembly from GM, started it up, still wouldn't go into gear. The next day, my dad talked to a GM Tech, who said that if you pump the pedal slowly about 30 times, it should work fine.

Dad does this, drives it up to my work, and came to a complete stop about 30 times, no problems. later that night when i went to leave in it, it was doing the same thing it was. I stopped to grab a bite to eat with friends, and in the parking lot the car wouldn't start, had to pop start it, figured it was a low battery. Drove it over to my dads that night, still having problesm shifting.

It usually didn't want to start, but got it to a couple times. Checked the battery, it was a Red Top, tested good, replaced it anyway. Still no luck, and tried testing with all sorts of additional power, nothing. Not a Voltage problem it seems. Also cleaned a few ground areas and such. Didn't help.

When you turn the key, it just makes one click. So if you turn the key 3 times, you'll hear 3 clicks, one for every time you turn it. Thought..well maybe its starter related? Tested the starter, it tests fine.

I dont think it could be the clutch safety switch, because it clicks when you turn the key. Also, if you hold it in the start position with the clutch out, and then press the pedal down, you will then hear a click, so that part seems to be working fine. Ill replace it anyway I guess...

Im thinking maybe the clutch dragging is causing a bind and the starter cant turn it over or somthing???

Also, i took the slave cyl out to make sure it was in the cup on teh clutch fork it was, but the clutch fork seems very loose. Are these supposed to be loose? It wiggled in every direction a lot, is this normal? However i mounted the slave up without the inspection plate, and watched it disengage, and it seems to disengage straight.

If anyone has had a similar situation, please HELP!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:16 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya LT1 forks have some play in them, sounds like you still have hydraulic issues.
I have seen some LT1 pressure plates break then cause cranking issues, but they where never drivable.
The car sounds like it has some seprate starting system issues. The whole thing needs to be tested under load. The system's Amperage draw, voltage drop, battery everything to get to the bottom of that issue IMO.

Search this Thread