Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Major clutch/slave woes, come in please! Long kinda funny story.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major clutch/slave woes, come in please! Long kinda funny story.

So I let this person drive my car a few weeks ago cause I was drinking, needless to say this person could not drive a cammed car with a SPEC 3+/Billet flywheel very well. So soon enough later the clutch seems to be slipping a bit, not too bad but nontheless slipping. So then the hydros start acting up, the pedal is doing weird **** so I decide to go bleed them, heres the story on my bleeding episode tonight, lol.

A guy I work with and I get the car up on the lift, and this lift sucks *****, its the kind that has all the frame of the lift under the car, particularlly under my tranny. So anyway I try to get my socket up to the bleeder and I finally get pissed and say **** it and drill the hole in the tunnel to make bleeding a simple one man job. Great I get it done and start bleeding, I get about 8 good bleeds and the pedal feels great and I go for 9 and as I close the bleeder I feel the bleeder screw suddenly get very loose, Im like oh **** theres no ******* way it just stripped. Well sure enough the 6 month old bleeder on the slave stripped out. I didnt even get it tight at all I was so pissed, so we decide to pull the trans out right there. It took a long time to get it out due to the PITA lift we had. So then I decide to pull the clutch while im in there and have a look since it was slipping. And I was also going to replace the rear cover gasket and rear main seal.

What do you guys think aboput these pics of my clutch? I measured the thickness of the disk and it is .33 inches (8.38 mm) all around the disk. I know what I think of the clutch assembly but figured Id get a few other opinions before I take my course of action. The pics are with and without flash.

Oh and BTW, this clutch has around 9-10K miles on it.

flywheel with flash

flywheel without flash

PP with flash

PP without flash

disk flywheel side with flash

disk fly side without flash

disk PP side with flash

Last edited by brad8266; 09-06-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's one of the more slippery slope mods I've heard in a while... bleeding a clutch turns into pulling trans and clutch. Not bad. I am of no help because I haven't ever done a clutch but what is this "drilling hole" mod for bleeding clutch? Forum is slow so search is, ehh...

-J
Old 09-06-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

You drill a hole in the trans tunnel by the gas pedal which allows you easy access to the slave bleeder screw and makes bleeding a simple one man job.

Yes it was an interesting night fo shizzle. I couldnt help it though since the trans was out I figured why not take all the other **** in there out and have an inspection.

All this over a simple hour of bleeding. Stupid slave cylinder.

Moral of story: Never take LS1 out when you plan on getting so hammered you cant drive, take the beater.

Last edited by brad8266; 09-06-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

It looks good to me. Wear in is fine, contact area looks consistent. You can mic the disc thickness to check wear but otherwise it looks like it will be fine. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Launching!

The wear seems Fine but damn those heat spots are horrible. Thats typical SPEC POS!!! Never again would I Used SPEC. First Clutch Chatter all of its 10k miles it lasted. Replaced it with another one which lasted about 1 month in the car b/c it felt like I was going to snap my trans in half b/c it chattered so bad.. I went with LS7 Clutch and a Remote Bleeder and Never looked Back.

Check Mine out.

Last edited by ConElite; 09-07-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Launching!

BYUNSPEED has smokin deals Period! I got my LS7 from them, could not be any happier with they're service.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup, Byunspeed does rock!

Will definately buy from them again!!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do they have a military discount?
Old 09-07-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I know where the hot spots came from, the person that was slipping the **** out of it even when shifting. I wouldnt call the small heat spots horrible though. Like i said i will never let someone drive the car again.

It is all reassembled again with a new slave, the clutch pedal issue is still there after lots of bleeding, so as I suspected in the beginning I will be replacing the master soon. I can kinda hear the master leaking when I push it all the way down, I can hear a tiny hiss when I push it in. Why does the LS1 hydro system have to suck so much?
Old 09-07-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ConElite
The wear seems Fine but damn those heat spots are horrible. Thats typical SPEC POS!!! Never again would I Used SPEC. First Clutch Chatter all of its 10k miles it lasted. Replaced it with another one which lasted about 1 month in the car b/c it felt like I was going to snap my trans in half b/c it chattered so bad.. I went with LS7 Clutch and a Remote Bleeder and Never looked Back.

Check Mine out.
The heat spots arent bad at all really. Well mine is close to 10k and has been a great daily driver the entire time, no chatter at all. maybe yours juts didnt break in right or something. Mine drives very smoothly. I am 99% positive the problem is my master cylinder.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok heres the deal, its all together and the pedal is doing all koinds of weird **** like not coming up quick enough after i hold it to the floor for over 10 seconds, its gotta be the master. Its like the clutch is not fully releasing. I suspected the Pressure plate fingers but when I had it out I checked the strength of the fingers and each one was very strong, and with them all together it should have no problem fully releasing. I gotta get a new master asap.

Quick Reply: Major clutch/slave woes, come in please! Long kinda funny story.