Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problem Pulling Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem Pulling Tranny

Hello,

MY buddies and I are trying to get the transmission out of the car and what a pain. WE got all the bolts out we disconnected everything and "Theoretically" it should slide right out.

We wrestled with that darn tranny for 2 hrs and could get the darn thing to budge. I've tried pulling, shaking yelling, praying to the car gods and still nothing.

The next thing we are going to try is take a fence pole puller hook it up to the rearend and slowly pull the tranny out. Mind you the car is about 2 to 3 ft off the ground and we are all on our backs. With several jacks and jack stands trying to pull this thing out.

Are there any tips or tricks to break the seal of the transmission to the bell housing.

Thank You
Tilly
Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hit it a few times with something and once the seal breaks use a rachet extension and place it between the trans and bellgousing and pry the trans backwards.

Oh and how many bolts did you take out of the trans to bellhosing bolts, there are 8 of them, 2 of them are somewhat hidden up top in each corner. If you missed them thats your problem.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

I tapped in a large flathead( large in length, for leverage) between the housing and the transmission. I then wiggled it til it came out. It takes a while, if you have 2 people you can pry it from each side making it that much easier.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have 9 bolts, 8 of them that went into the bell housing and another one with a lock washer and not as long as the tranny bolts.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

I dunno if it's a manual or auto, but here's a write up for the T56!

Doesn't say much for how to get the tranny out. Sounds like you are almost there.

Install University
Old 09-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem when I was putting in a new clutch. I had to bang it a couple of times, just be careful not to bend it since it is aluminum. Then just find something to pry it with. I used a crowbar. If you look close enough, there is a little gap in between the tranny and the bellhousing you can dig into. It takes a little effort, but it got the job done.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

try to wiggle the tale of the trans, i like to use two long bolts witht the heads cut off to slide it back on.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Launching!

I dropped my trans 4 times and even the first time, Removed all the bolts, Torque arm, and Driveshaft and the Trans slides right back and then make sure the Slave is disconnected or unscrewed from the trans and its on the floor. All 4 times I dropped the transmission in my garage, By myself with my little sister helping lower the jack. Should take less than 20 minutes to have the transmission on the floor once all bolts are removed and everything disconnected.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the clutch still hooked up?? If so have someone try to wiggle the tailshaft of the trans back and forth while someone steps on the clutch pedal. Most likely the trans alignment pins are corroded and stuck.

Re'
Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hello,

Thank Your for the replies, They helped a lot. I did get the tranny help with my new big flat head screw driver and a rubber mallet. took me about 20 to 30 minutes by myself.

I pried on it and wiggled it out. Didnt go completely to plan. Spilled A LOT of tranny fluid in the house i am renting. But got that all cleaned up. I messed up the hydraulic line and the slave cylinder (both things I am replacing anyways) and an electrical connector. I lowered the jack and plopped it on a junk carpet and dragged it out the bottom. Not bad for the very first tranny I have ever removed.

Now the next adventure, pulling the motor through the top.

Tilly
Old 09-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tilly

Now the next adventure, pulling the motor through the top.

Tilly
I recommed dropping the K-Member. Its so much easier and with no trans it should be a breeze. We did it this way on my brothers Z. Took 2 jacks and patience and you should be good.

Quick Reply: Problem Pulling Tranny