Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange reverse grind...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Strange reverse grind...

out of the blue as I was moving my car to put it in, not once but twice it acted like the clutch wouldn't release completely and lurched the car and did a small grind as I put it in reverse. I couldn't reproduce this effect though with the other 6 gears just reverse leading me to think maybe reverse has acted up...

I let it sit overnight and couldn't reproduce it in the morning, I checked the fluid saw it was still full just like the last time I looked at it a week ago. I bled the clutch completely and once again nothing, acted just like normal, BUT I can feel something different when I put it into reverse like the syncros aren't 100% lined up when I put it into gear and there's a touch of mismatch causing the feel of a bit more effort.

Normally I'd be this is a hydraulic issue, but since I have both the 01/02 slave and master, the drill mod, over 30K since the LS7 clutch and new hydraulics, bled every few months and kept the fluid fresh AND could not reproduce this effect in the forward gears... perhaps something with reverse went?

That or I'm nuts and everything's fine...
Old 09-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a clutch issue to me . Shift into first and then retry reverse . If the problem still feels the same , then you might have a bugered up reverse sleeve and gear . Reverse always takes a beating in a car that the clutch is not working at 100% .