Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

a few swap questions a4 to m6

Old 09-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few swap questions a4 to m6

i swapped out my auto a while back to a t56 and ever since reverse is hard to get into. thats cause of the reverse lockout not being wired up but would that make it sometimes grind? every once in a while when im in reverse its like its almost in gear but its grinding and then if the clutch is fully pressed to the floor and i push harder on the shifter it grabs in gear and the whole car shakes...its only sometimes though. thoughts? its a used t56 with new everything. the only thing thats used is the pedals and the shifter(blown shifter boot) and the tranny. suggestions?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

how long have you had it without the solenoid wired up? I haven't heard of the reverse having problems from the solenoid but I understand it could cause a lot of stress on the shifting linkage to push that solenoid out of the way and push it into reverse. You might want to pull the solenoid out altogether if you don't plan to wire it up. But I recommend finding the spot on the PCM for the wire and run it correctly. I used the unused red wire that ran to the automatic transmission, and swapped it to the right spot on the PCM. but the spots will be different from yours, mine is a 98.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

its been a few months with no solenoid wired up. so ill just have to splice it in somehow? any links showing how to do that?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

I know it's a long read but the sticky has that info for ya. But honestly with the noise you're hearing the solenoid isn't going to fix the problem Hopefully someone else on here has some ideas.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

my next guess is synchros cause sometimes some of my other gears grind unless i have the clutch pressed 100% and i know you dont have to have it 100% every single time you shift. sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt its at different ranges

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a few swap questions a4 to m6