Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Blew out my Z07 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew out my Z07 clutch

So I was on my way to the track yesterday, going to check out my new FAST 90 and NW 90 setup. When we were about 5 miles away from the track, I was at about 4k in fourth and suddenly the revs skyrocketed to over 6k. After much swearing, and countless right jabs into the steering wheel, center console, etc. I came to the conclusion that I wasn't running my car.

I probably would have ran it anyway, just cause; but I had to drive to Minneapolis (2 hours there and back) last night. By the time I got back to school here, the clutch was smoking really bad. I was stopped at a stop sign and smoke was flowing pretty heavily into my window.

So I guess my question is, is this thing going to hold up for my 4 hour drive home this upcoming weekend? As long as I ***** foot the living **** out of it? I'm kind hoping so because I have no other way of getting there.

Also recomendations on a new clutch would be appreciated. Money is not an issue, 600 rwhp, 500 rwtq. Would like to know best of the best.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:06 AM
wrencher

No I wouldn't drive it. If it is smoking that is done extra crispy
Sure you dont have a fluid intrusion problem at the clutch area also.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wrencher
No I wouldn't drive it. If it is smoking that is done extra crispy
Sure you dont have a fluid intrusion problem at the clutch area also.
Yeah I'm pretty concerened about it. But I really don't have an option at this point.

Fluid intrusion problem? I'm not famaliar with this, could you please elaborate? I would really appreciate it.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeD101898
Yeah I'm pretty concerened about it. But I really don't have an option at this point.

Fluid intrusion problem? I'm not famaliar with this, could you please elaborate? I would really appreciate it.
sometimes the rear main seal leaks...putting oil on the surface of your clutch.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
sometimes the rear main seal leaks...putting oil on the surface of your clutch.
Mine had that little freeze plug looking thing leak. What's that thing called?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

That's more power than the LS7 clutch is meant to handle. I'd go Textralia!! Let me know if I can help, we keep them in stock!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Money is no issue. Hmmm. Get the exedy twin plate that I am using. I love it !! A little chatter but other then that flawless.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Launching!

So we've got Textralia, and Exedy twin plate. The most important aspect to me is longevity, and driveability that can handle hard launches. Any others that could compete with these?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MikeD101898
So we've got Textralia, and Exedy twin plate. The most important aspect to me is longevity, and driveability that can handle hard launches. Any others that could compete with these?
Clutches that handle high Hp/Tq and longevity don't usually go together. Mcleod twin-disk and the Textralia, Ram HD.

My Ram VDS lasted less than 6,000 miles and I don't have your rwhp.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have heard good and bad about the Mcleod twin, but then again I heard a lot of bad stuff about my exedy twin. I love the exedy. Just stay away from SPEC. Been some pretty disasterous things involved with using a SPEC clutch. Just ask V-Series TECH aka Jamie. Good luck.

BTW is you really want to spend some coin, Exedy makes a clutch called CARBON. Look into it.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Well if there is a cheaper one, I would be very happy to go that route. At the moment I'm not pushing that kind of power, but probably will be by later next year, and don't really want to have to change out the clutch in only a year.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Haha btw, I'm an idiot. Z07? No. I believe it's a LS6 clutch because I got it about 2-3 years ago, therefore not being the LS7 clutch.

I'm still possibly thinking it's my rear main because I have been loosing quite a bit of oil as well recently. About 1 qt every 500 miles. So basically a **** ton.

Just thought I've give an update.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I don't think clutch smoking is characteristic of a clutch going out, it either has enough friction material to engage or doesn't and slips freely. It's kinda weird it suddenly played out on you on the highway, and you didn't see it coming. If it's leaking that much, there's a notch between the bellhousing and the oil pan check it to see if there's any fluid draining out.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
Yeah I don't think clutch smoking is characteristic of a clutch going out, it either has enough friction material to engage or doesn't and slips freely. It's kinda weird it suddenly played out on you on the highway, and you didn't see it coming. If it's leaking that much, there's a notch between the bellhousing and the oil pan check it to see if there's any fluid draining out.
That's what I thought too about the smoking. I'll have to check for a leak somewhere. So does this mean the clutch is possibly ok?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Staging Lane

I seriously doubt your main seal is leaking that much oil. You're probably burning oil like many Ls1s commonly do. I currently have the Ls6 clutch and if the car sees even mild street and track use somewhat often it won't hold up for you. What horsepower ARE you running? My Ls6 clutch is holding perfectly fine but I'm only a bolt on car and I barely ever slip the clutch.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28fury
I seriously doubt your main seal is leaking that much oil. You're probably burning oil like many Ls1s commonly do. I currently have the Ls6 clutch and if the car sees even mild street and track use somewhat often it won't hold up for you. What horsepower ARE you running? My Ls6 clutch is holding perfectly fine but I'm only a bolt on car and I barely ever slip the clutch.
I'm currently at 350-360 at the wheels I believe. And yes I do like to put my foot into it quite often.

Quick Reply: Blew out my Z07 clutch