Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter stuck in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Angry Shifter stuck in neutral

Ever since I got the rebuilt engine back in the car I started having shifting problems. I did replace the stock master cylinder for the rebuilt McLeod adjustable unit I had sitting in storage for about a year.

The first time I noticed a problem was when I couldn't shift from 4th to neutral on the interstate. I managed to get into a parking lot without hitting any traffic. With the engine off it came out of gear with relative ease. There were a few more instances of it coming out slowly, like it was pinched. It became intermittent. OK, I can get by without one gear.

Then it started having problems coming out of 3rd gear but usually I could get it out without stopping the car. 2 gears down, now it's irritating.

Tonight I was going to run an errand and I went through the gears to see if it would be smooth before starting the engine. Coming out of 4th one time it just hung in neutral. It won't move sideways or into 3rd gear at all.

Any ideas on the source of the problem? I had it rebuilt a few years ago with replacement/upgrade parts from D&D Performance. I don't particularly remember what we put in, though.

Last edited by JimMueller; 09-11-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 AM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When they hang up in a gear usually that is a broken syncro slider key jamming it up.

It sounds like the trans is comming apart again.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Diagnosis is the keys came out. I need to replace the 1-2 slider, the reverse slider (he said the teeth are practically gone, what would cause that?). Amber @ Six Speeds Inc. is hooking me up with what I need.

Parts should be at the shop tomorrow by noon and maybe I'll have it before tomorrow evening.