Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

problem going into 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem going into 2nd gear

Heres the deal... When I go from 1st to 2nd everything shifts just fine. All smooth, no grinding and it slides right in. My problem is when I go from say 3rd to 2nd or 4th to 2nd when Im slowing down. It simply physically wont let me slide the shifter back into 2nd. It doesnt grind and it doesnt make any weird noises, it just wont go in. This is ONLY when Im slowing down. Now if I move it up into first a little without letting off the clutch and slam it back into second it goes without any noises or grinds but there is definitely a lot of resistance. It seems like its only at low rpms when I need to downshift to keep from stalling. Anyone have any clues?? I know its not the skip shift.
btw my car only has 36k miles on it so im guessing nothing should be too worn out.

Thanks

Last edited by mcarse81; 09-15-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Anyone!? Im dyin here!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Banned

Sounds like the clutch isn't slowing down enough to let it down shift into 2nd gear . When you take the little extra time of going towards 1st , you do two things . One is you allow a few more split seconds to go by so everything can slow down some and two you are putting a small load toward the 1st gear syncro ring slowing things down internally so it goes into 2nd gear . If everything else is working ok (mainly getting in and out or 1st or reverse without issue) you might want to try bleeding the system and see if that helps anything . I , for one , am not a huge fan of the clutch systems on the LS1 cars at all . There are no adjustments for the system . You have to either do the drill mod to increase the flow of fluid to the cylinder or put a shim under the cylinder or both sometimes doesn't work too well ........

Quick Reply: problem going into 2nd gear