Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HORRIBLE Grinding Noise!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HORRIBLE Grinding Noise!! Help!

I was minding my business when some jerk cut me off hard so I downshifted to go around him (not really hard) and with that while in gear I free rev'ed. I thought I wasn't in gear but I was. I then dropped back and lightly dropped the clutch and was able to go but when I gave it too much gas it just made this horrible grinding noise and free rev'ed again. This happened in every gear 1 - 6. I was able to get home by taking it real real easy in each gear but if I gave it a little to much gas it would just rev/grind and I would quickly drop the clutch and then ease back into it. It is a 2000 SS with only 27K miles. I have a lot of work done to it (stroked, cam, heads, 4.10 rear, etc.) with the stock LS1 clutch and the tranny has never been built up. The only issue I have ever had with the tranny was at about 10K miles I was on it and I thought I mis-shifted into 3rd and since then I have had a hard time getting into 3rd (sometimes have to go into 4th and then 3rd). Now I find that the drill mod corrects the reason that I 'mis-shifted' in the first place. I would think this issue with the grinding is the clutch and not the tranny because it happens in every gear. I just ordered the LS2/LS7 setup with a slave and bearing from BYUNSPEED figuring that it would be a good place to start but was afraid that it might be something else. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Banned

If its doing it in every gear when you get on it then more than likely its a clutch issue . Not sure why it would sound like a grind but I guess it depends on what wrong with it .
Old 09-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Is it a stock clutch? Could be one of the Flywheel bolts came loose. Damn.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah it is a stock LS1 clutch. I put it up in the air this afternoon to check if I could see anything physical with the driveshaft or leaking fluids but it looked clean. Hopefully when they put the clutch in they will find it. My biggest fear is they don't find anything, put the clutch in and get it all back together and the problem is still there. If they don't find anything I might have them crack the tranny to be safe. :-(

Quick Reply: HORRIBLE Grinding Noise!! Help!