Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch/ Trans Problems..Someone Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch/ Trans Problems..Someone Help!!

Hey guys lately ive been noticing that the clutch pedal and shifter doesnt seem right. I cant really explain it, but it just seems alot different. When im going WOT and go to shift into 2nd, sometimes it wont go into gear..It doesnt do it ALOT, but it does do it occasionally..Now the trans is in good shape, cause its completely built, and i dont really beat on it much. So i checked the hydraulic fluid and it seems low and its pretty dirty. Im thinking that could be the culprit. What should i try. Should i just add some new fluid into the reservoir or whatever its called under the hood, or should i completely change the fluid? Another thing what kinda fluid do you put in there, and if someone has a write up on how to change the hydraulic fluid, that would be awesome..Thanks Alot guys...
Old 09-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Launching!

What happens is at high rpm the fluid compresses/or boils b/c of the heat of the manifold/header. Change your fluid. Make sure your fluid is clear as new. Used standard DOT3 or 4. DO NOT USED SYnthetic fluid. that should help. Have you done the drill mod? If not do it and that will force you to change the fluid.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have not done the drill mod..i thought that was only a problem on the 98-00's i thought 01-02 hydraulics didnt need it, cause i have 01-02 hydraulics in mine. Also Where is a good write up/instructions on how to change the fluid? thanks ALOT
Old 09-15-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JacobK
i have not done the drill mod..i thought that was only a problem on the 98-00's i thought 01-02 hydraulics didnt need it, cause i have 01-02 hydraulics in mine. Also Where is a good write up/instructions on how to change the fluid? thanks ALOT

Check the sticky at the top of this section by me called sticking clutch pedal write-up. You may find it very usefull for your situation. 01+ hydraulics are better but most do still recomend doing the drill mod as well, you can find how to do that as well in the already mentioned write-up.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

is that all you do is use a syringe and suck all the old fluid out? then you put the new fluid in? pump the pedal and keep doing that till all the fluid is clear?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In your case I recomend a full bleed of the system. Once you get all new fluid in there then on a regular basis every X miles change the resivoir. There is no set milage to change the resivoir but just keep an eye on it and use your judgement. If its getting dirty looking change it. If you go to the track and make some passes change it. If you beat on it alot on the street change it. The fluid condition is very important keep it clean and fresh and you should be able to avoid this ever so common problem.

Quick Reply: Clutch/ Trans Problems..Someone Help!!