Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 do-it-yourself question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 do-it-yourself question

Just curious where you break it down at and what sort of table top room/area you need to ensure it is laid out neatly and organized?

Space being limited, especially depth wise, I was thinking of a 72" x 16" x 54" or so workbench. Just not sure if the 16" depth will be enough.

What size work benches do you guys use in your garages?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Banned

My build table is 4'x8' but has a bunch of misc crap on it so its probably about 1/2 of that which can actually be used for tear down and build . Once you've built a crap load of them , you don't really need everything laid out all nice and pretty . I can build one out of a box of parts sent to me with no issues at all .
Old 09-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hijack.......Is rebuilding a t56 easy enough for a general mechanic to do...Assuming there is nothing wrong with the gears? Is there a website that gives step by step instructions?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

+1 I Would Also Like To Know This
Old 09-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned

Its not hard to tear it down and is a little difficult putting all the parts back together . The real trick is knowing whats causing the problem , how to fix it and knowing the difference between what can be reused and whats junk . Most people just change a crap load of parts figuring that the problem will be fixed in the process . Thats a waste of money and sometimes still does not fix the under lying problem to begin with . I build all sorts of manual transmissions so I can apply what I have learned through out the years to other transmissions and even to brand new stuff that I work on . Its no different than people that build engines , automatic transmissions or even chassis . If you truely know what you are doing and not just changing parts then you can pretty much build any standard transmission .
Old 09-17-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thesource
Its not hard to tear it down and is a little difficult putting all the parts back together . The real trick is knowing whats causing the problem , how to fix it and knowing the difference between what can be reused and whats junk . Most people just change a crap load of parts figuring that the problem will be fixed in the process . Thats a waste of money and sometimes still does not fix the under lying problem to begin with . I build all sorts of manual transmissions so I can apply what I have learned through out the years to other transmissions and even to brand new stuff that I work on . Its no different than people that build engines , automatic transmissions or even chassis . If you truely know what you are doing and not just changing parts then you can pretty much build any standard transmission .
That pretty much sums it up right there. I have had a hell of a time trying to learn what to look for. I have built mine on a table with a hole cut in it, and also have used a 5 gal bucket.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:20 PM
7d8
Teching In

I just yanked my T-56 out of my 94 Z. I was tired of the thing not wanting to go into reverse the 1st time. I grabbed a 5 gallon bucket and with a hole saw cut a hole big enough for the shaft to go through it. I have the bucket upside down and left the lid on for stability. I pulled the rear cover off and found the fork ends have no pads left on them,I also found that the reverse synchronizer was a little messed up...some kind of carbon thin disc was in pieces. Does this sound like the problem?
I have never pulled a trans apart, but I take my time with things and video before I pull stuff apart and I am slightly patient just slightly.
As far as room...I am working in a 2 ft by 2 ft area. I have 0 room left in my garage. Gotta lot of projects going on at once.
1988 Iroc conv.-78vette-94 z28-1988 gt conv.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Banned

The fork pads are 75% of the problem and your clutch is probably the other 25% of it . The plastic ring between the reverse hub and the brass ring is more like a buffer or dampner .
Old 09-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

so basically if I plan on re-building the T56 without prior knowledge I should use a "bucket" or table and plan on replacing items that may not need to be replaced. Do I need any special tools? Any body up to helping a newbie do a diy?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by itspossible01
so basically if I plan on re-building the T56 without prior knowledge I should use a "bucket" or table and plan on replacing items that may not need to be replaced. Do I need any special tools? Any body up to helping a newbie do a diy?

Sometimes the upper 5/6 gear is pretty tight on the mainshaft and requires a large puller and installer to remove it and put it back on . Other than that , you will need a set of small eye'd snap ring pliers , a large set of snap ring pliers , a regular set of snap ring pliers , different size pry bars or large flat head screw driver and a press .
Old 09-18-2007, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen the homemade gear pullers but what (homemade) would you use to install the 5/6 gear?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

I built my installer out of heavy wall pipe and welded a 1/2 plate to the end of one side to have a spot to hit with a hammer . Most of the time the gear slides on and off but thats because its got wear on the mainshaft and the inside of the gear . Some wear is ok but when the wear gets excessive , the gear starts to rock on the mainshaft and will eventually strip out and will free wheel on the main shaft causing you to lose 5th & 6th gears totally .

As far as pullers go , I have a big Snap On two jaw puller I use . It works on both the F body and the longer Corvette mainshafts .
Old 09-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Teching In

When you reassemble the trans do you use TransJel (or something similar) or do you just use transmission fluid to lubricate the parts?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Banned

I use Mystic high temp wheel bearing grease mostly and run a little bit of atf on the gears and sliders so they don't get sticky if the person is not installing the unit for a while or its being shipped across the country or whatever .

Quick Reply: T56 do-it-yourself question