Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Weird problem. Vibrating with RPMs and clutch wont disengage with horrible sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weird problem. Vibrating with RPMs and clutch wont disengage with horrible sound

Hey I have a 95 TA that the 4th gear syncro recently went out in (I'm assuming because it won't go into 4th without really playing with it). It has a spec billet flywheel and stage 3 clutch with around 11 thousand miles on it.

Now it's doing some strange things. The car vibrates from about 2500 to 3500 RPM. It does it while in neutral or in any gear while moving. It feels like the vibrating may start a little later when it does it while in gear and accelerating. When you push the clutch in, whether in Neutral, in gear, moving, or sitting still it dosen't vibrate. And occassionaly it won't vibrate at all no matter what the circumstances but it usualy starts vibrating in a minute or two. If the flywheel was off balance it would do it with the clutch pedal pushed or not correct? Does this mean it's something in my trany or PP/ clutch disk?

Now for the second problem. Sometimes you start the car, push the clutch pedal (feels like it has good pressure) then go to put it in gear it dosen't want to go in. Feels like the clutch isn't disengaged. Well once you work it into gear a horrible sound errupts from the bellhousing area that sounds like someone through sand and broken glass and nails and stuff between the clutch and flywheel. It makes the sound for about 5 seconds and jurks the car around a tiny bit (not enough to move bu an inch or two forward) then stops and acts like normal. Pumping the clutch dosen't help at all and it has only ever done it when the engine is first started. Never done it when I pulled up to a stop light or anything.

So I can't help but think the 3 problems are related, they started around the same time.

What's evryone think?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's time to pull the transmission and see what's up. If the vibration doesn't happen when the clutch pedal is pushed in, then it's not the flywheel or PP--they spin with the engine. That means it's either the disk or trans. My bet would be the clutch disk is coming apart. Only way to be sure is pull it and take a look.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch disc indeed was coming apart, see here. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...02#post7814302