Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch guys, in here

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 Clutch guys, in here

I'm having trouble with my car not wanting to go into 1st and sometimes other gears.. I'm trying to narrow down a clutch problem to a hydrolic problem.

If your in gear, at higher RPMs, does your pedal go down from the very top (spongy until about 80-75%, where it feels solid), but is 100% when out of gear?
Old 09-25-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

It should have pressure for 100% of the pedal travel.

Your problem is most likely being caused by heat.

Wrap your hydraulic line in heater hose.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:44 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Change your fluid while your at it. It should be clear
Old 09-26-2007, 07:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you still have the heat shield that covers the clutch line to protect it from exhaust heat? Some people remove that and have hot fluid (a.k.a. soft pedal) issues.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Fluids brand new, I had my mechanic bleed it AFTER I bled it atleast a bottle and a half. I'm going to Autozone today to get a Mityvac for good measure, and while I'm doing that I'll wrap the lines and re-route the remote bleeder.

The heat shild IS still on there, and I don't have headers on.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Mine doesn't do that & it's been in for about a year. I drive it over 300 miles a week & it's also still on the stock 99' master.

I bled mine with the mityvac & it only took like 20 minutes. Haven't messed with it since.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm heater hose over the clutch line and wrapped with heat foil/tape.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Have you done the drill mod on the master yet? That will slow down the fluid flow between the pedal and clutch. I noticed a difference when I did mine while installing the new clutch. No delayed engagement feel anymore. I could feel the clutch grabbing and the car pulling harder as it engaged. Now it is more of an on-off feel. I like that better as it is more positive feeling.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
Have you done the drill mod on the master yet? That will slow down the fluid flow between the pedal and clutch. I noticed a difference when I did mine while installing the new clutch. No delayed engagement feel anymore. I could feel the clutch grabbing and the car pulling harder as it engaged. Now it is more of an on-off feel. I like that better as it is more positive feeling.
Drill mods done.

So looks like the votes go for Mityvac and heatwrap?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

well i can relate somewhat, i changed my clutch to the LS7 in january, no probs, everything went fine, drove it for about 5,000 miles, then about a month and a half ago clutch wouldnt disengaged, first step, changed the hydraulics, didnt help, next, put in a brand new LS7 clutch, partially solved the problem, i can drive it now but the clutch still does not fully disengage making it hard to get into gear and real hard for reverse, i am stumped on what to, and yes i still have the heat shield over the line and yes the system has been vac bled, i am just drivin' it now cause i got sick of screwin with it, good luck with your dilemma
Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02silvaZ
well i can relate somewhat, i changed my clutch to the LS7 in january, no probs, everything went fine, drove it for about 5,000 miles, then about a month and a half ago clutch wouldnt disengaged, first step, changed the hydraulics, didnt help, next, put in a brand new LS7 clutch, partially solved the problem, i can drive it now but the clutch still does not fully disengage making it hard to get into gear and real hard for reverse, i am stumped on what to, and yes i still have the heat shield over the line and yes the system has been vac bled, i am just drivin' it now cause i got sick of screwin with it, good luck with your dilemma
Sounds like EXACTLY my problem. Things went fine until ~3k miles or so then it started to get bad. I mityvac'd it and it seemed to help, alot of bubbles came out. It helped with firmness, but I still have some issues.

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch guys, in here