Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rear Main Seal question....?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Main Seal question....?

Just found out that my rear main seal is leaking...

which really sucks considering I had the new clutch and flywheel put in back in June and had to pay for the tranny being dropped then...

looks like I get to pay to have it dropped again...

my questions are, how much is a rear main seal, and is it going to hurt for me to drive the car while it's leaking if I keep tabs on my oil level until i can afford to have it fixed?

on a side note, apparently i'm leaking coolant from my thermostat as well... Me and a buddy took the car out the other night and bent 3 pushrods which I replaced... See this thread about that... https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=engine+noise

wonder if there is any correlation between that and these other problems...?

after installing the new pushrods everything seems to be running ok, so i dunno...
Old 09-25-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seal itself is $25, better go get it soon before you cant because of those striking GM *******.

You should be OK if it isnt leaking so badly like pouring out, just keep tabs on the level.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mines been leaking for awhile now, youll be ok. but try to get it replaced soon. its embarrassing and annoying seeing oil drip everywhere you go, especially when it rains
Old 09-25-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

good to hear... I got Ryne at Cunningham motorsports gonna take a look at it tomorrow... can oil get to your clutch this way and screw it up?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah it could get on the clutch. I had the crank freeze plug go out on mine shortly after installing my LS7 clutch. I had oil on the clutch and flywheel when I dropped the trans to diagnose that stupid freeze plug. I cleaned everything with brake cleaner and replaced the plug (along with another pilot bearing). So far no issues but you don't want to get too much oil on the clutch. If you do just make sure to clean it very well. I went through a few cans of brake cleaner over a few days.