Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

manual swap problem

Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual swap problem

a buddy of mine swapped a t56 in to his 4l60e equipped 98' trans am. after the swap the car would start but then die shortly after. it had the auto pcm in it and it was obviously throwing every trans code. he then tried swapping my 6spd pcm in it and it wouldnt start at all. so he tried putting the auto pcm back in and now it wont start at all with either pcm. anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

could be something that doesn't deal with the tranny, make sure your fuel pump is turning on and you're getting a spark. You could have blown a fuse or have a wire shorting out.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

yea i forgot to mention that its not getting spark. he said he checked over everything spark related and cant find anything. he was wondering if it has anything to do with pcms.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

I doubt it's the PCM's since he put yours in and yours still fires up your car right? What kind of work did he do to the wires? I'm guessing he stuck with the A4 harness but did he move any wires in the PCM connector? He may have moved the wrong wire. I don't think anything from the shifter connector does anything to the spark besides the safety switch that lets you crank the car over which you obviously have dealt with already.

Was that all the maintenance you guys did was swap from A4-M6? Did you pull the engine/tranny or just the tranny? Maybe the coil harness isn't securely plugged in on top of the valvecovers or the engine isn't properly grounded? Are you getting any Fault Codes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: manual swap problem