Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Launching an M6 LS1 TA

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launching an M6 LS1 TA

now, ive done it a few times, and ive always been scared, i dont wanna eff up my rear end, but i was wondering from some of you other M6ers how/what are your methods for launching.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

I close my eyes, grab my nuts and let 'er rip!!!

Actually, how you launch is really dependent on what your goals are. If you're looking for the world record 60' on slicks, something is going to eventually let go.

I have over 100 runs on street tires, which required a combination of feathering the clutch and throttle around 3000 RPM until the tires settled down and could keep up with the rest of the drivetrain. That still whacked my 10 bolt due to the occasional wheel hop that just pounded the pinion like a jack hammer. LCA relocation mounts completely solved the wheel hop issue.

Now, I'm running drag radials and I found the next weak link in the system...the 105K mile stock clutch. I was only launching at 4000 RPM, with an immediate WOT after dumping the clutch. However, the clutch can't even hold the stock power anymore and slips like a worn out powerglide. It looks like I'll be throwing in a Cartek now.

A lot if it will just be trial and error on your part until you're comfortable with the car. I'm satisfied with 60's in the high 1.70 to low 1.80 range as long as they are consistent and allow me to run a 0.05 package or better. It's the only way I can stay competitive with the automatic guys.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I'd agree with Fran D. I've pulled a number of 2.0X 60 ft's with 400 treadwear tires, but the clutch pays the price 'cause I slip the clutch to keep the tires planted. I just got a handle on my 245/50/16 BFG dr's and pulled 1.797 60 ft. That's nothing to write home about, but it's good enough for me!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Restricted User

When I first started driving my car, I'd really side step the clutch (on DR's) but ever since I started slipping the clutch, I'd never go back.....and has any one noticed that they get wheel hop on street tires and not DR's? Cause I only get wheel hop when on street tires...
Old 10-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Teching In

yeah see that what im affraid of, slipping too much, and BAM, needs a new clutch. lol but ill give it a shot i guess.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

You can't live your life in fear! You'll miss out on all the fun!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i really like the 6grand dump when the track will hook it
Old 10-08-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just slip that guy. i need a new clutch anyways.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zero4488
When I first started driving my car, I'd really side step the clutch (on DR's) but ever since I started slipping the clutch, I'd never go back.....and has any one noticed that they get wheel hop on street tires and not DR's? Cause I only get wheel hop when on street tires...
Take the street tires down to about 24 lbs. at the track and it should go away. They are sometimes like basketballs at full pressure.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Launching!

The best thing to do is a 6500rpm launch on MT 26x11.5's while spraying. I find thats the most amuseing situation. On a 10 bolt the safest thing to do is not launch at all.GM really screwed up on the F Bodies they used the 10 bolt out of an s10 and thought it was gonna be strong enough? If it blows up under normal conditions of F Body owners driving them,what did they think was going to happen when ppl start to race them? I love GM and Love F Bodies but comon now with the 10 bolt you would think GM would have changed it sometime along the line of the 4th gens. On a diffrent note tho some F Body owners get the bulletproof 10 bolt. I kno a few ppl that crank 600+hp into them and have been for 1 or 2 years and havnt had any problem what so ever,and some ppl like myself that dropped a gear on the freeway and the pinon gear shoots out of the casing.

So besides that pointless statement i just made basically what im tryin to say is the only thing you can do is chance it you may have bullet proof 10 bolt or you might have the one thats gonna break on you.The risk is high but so is that adrenaline. i would say a safe launch on a stocker setup would be

Street Tires 2500rpm with little clutch
Drag Radials 3500 with some clutch slipping in the begining to help wheelhop
Slicks 4k to wot and this is where u get 2 runs b4 the big explosion HAVE FUN!!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off the limiter.... and I am not joking

I have all the mods in my sig, 3800 race weight. I have gotten thus far a 1.82 60 foot @ 5200 clutch dump, with a off the limiter dump I can improve to 1.70 with the little power I make over stock and weight.

Gearing is critical, so is tires and a good rear end, DS and clutch.

My M/T ET street radials raced at 23 psi that had no tread left on them. A new set, higher launch and maybe a lil more psi and I can improve. If I make more power, lose a lil weight 1.5's here I come.

Quick Reply: Launching an M6 LS1 TA