Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

WTF am I doing wrong-pilot bearing removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF am I doing wrong-pilot bearing removal

I just wasted 2 hours trying to get this damn thing out, and it didn't budge at all. I have the removal tool, I tried it countless times and nothing. Is there a trick to this? I even pulled the flywheel off just in case it was holding it for some reason.

I can feel the lip behind the bearing with my finger, but the tool won't grab it hard enough to pull it out. The tool just keeps slipping right out.

Please help!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

If you've got the rental tool from Autozone, you've got to modify it a bit. Get a dremel and take a bit of material off the arms. If I remember correctly, the two arms won't enter the bore of the bearing in order to grab the other side the way it sits. Once you dremel it, the arms will slide in, you can open the arms and use the slide hammer to pull it out.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

or you may have the two jaw puller instead of the pilot bearing puller. They gave me that one by mistake when I was doing mine.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The one I have has two arms, with a bolt that spreads them apart once it is in the bearing. I can get the arms in, I can open the arms in the bearing, but it won't hold strong enough to pull it out.

The case it came in says it's a pilot bearing puller.

Now, just to eliminate the possibility of me being a complete moron, the piot bearing does sit in the end of the crank, right? It guides the input shaft of the tranny when it's installed? I just want to make sure, this is the first time I'm doing this. Thanks guys!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just re-read some stuff, so I know I'm working on the right friggin part.

Anyone else have some ideas?

I noticed that each arm on this tool has a lip at the end that is supposed to catch the back of the bearing. Well, it seems to me that they are a little bit rounded. How the hell is this thing supposed to grab anything being rounded!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Like mentioned above, you may need to grind or file the 90 degree profile back on the worn jaws before it will work.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks all!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SStingray
Like mentioned above, you may need to grind or file the 90 degree profile back on the worn jaws before it will work.
+1, I had a pick and a slide hammer, but i did have to make a sharp 90 degree with a grinder to get it to catch.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clean out the grease so its dry, and no dust or aything on the tool.

Like others said- Tool with sqare edges.

Tighten the tool up. so it spreading apart a bit, you can feel how far to flex the arm. But dont break them.
Don't move or wobble the slide hammer around once, the arms are tight. That will bend them, and mess up the grip. 2 people even hold it dead strait using it.

Try pop it out one hit. Every hit you lose a little of the grip. When the arms have a good grip,and the force goes into the bearing. And notjust bending the arms,or popping off. The little bearing popsout pretty easy. So you dont have to do a full hardest body thow into the slide hammer. But dont be a ***** with it, and do little Happy Gillmor tappy tappy 27 taps. That will not hold.

If you have been trying it already, see how the arms are fitting. And its there marks on the backside of the bearing, try to fine a "new" spot to tighten the arms.

If it dosn't work and you messed up the bearing or the tool. You can grind though the beraing, and colaps it Very cafully!

Dont try to use the pump grease ( wet towls, bread or whatever)into the back of the crank pocket, and force the bearing out. there a freeze plug in the end of the crank you'll just push into the motor.

Last edited by studderin; 10-11-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am so frustrated right now, I am really hating this damn tool. It's not the slide hammer type. It has a nut that pulls the arms back out as you tighten it. I grinded down the lips on the arms to make sure they were 90 degree angles, and it helped a little bit. I can feel it grabbing, but it doesn'e have enough holding power to get this thing out. I tried heating it up, still didn't help.

I'm working with limited tools, but this can't be this difficult when you have the actual tool designed to do it. Should I spray some WD40 on this thing in hopes that it will loosen up the hold?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:07 PM
9 Second Club

Go and get the slide hammer type. Make sure you tighten the removal tool up pretty good and let it happen with the slide hammer. It'll come out after a few tries. Don't get worried if you rip apart the old bearing it will come out. And of course if all else fails get a small drimel tool and take away some of the bearing but make sure you don't cut into the crank!!!!! Thats how i've done many of them so best of luck.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Slide hammer should work. I just used it to remove a pilot bearing on a GTO.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Launching!

ive done them several times by packing wheel bearing grease in it then putting the lineup tool in it and hit it with a hammer. it will take a while to get it packed might have to do it several times but it works
Old 10-11-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

We just finished mine and used a "real" slide hammer tool my technician had. He spread the jaws open inside the bearing and it had a nut on the tool to crank them tight. Then slide hammered it several times until it came flying out. Beware for missile hazard!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3stgstocker
ive done them several times by packing wheel bearing grease in it then putting the lineup tool in it and hit it with a hammer. it will take a while to get it packed might have to do it several times but it works
That way works fine on other motors but the lsx has a freeze plug in the back of the crank so don't do it that way on a lsx motor.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it finally came out. The arms on the tool weren't holding enough to pull it out. So, we put an allen wrench in between the arms to hold them from flexing. First try like that, and it popped right out.

Now I'm just struggling getting the tranny lined up to go back in. Not to mention the tranny fluid all over the garage floor (yeah I tried to not empty it first!). Live and learn, but I think this is the last time I do any relatively major jobs on my own. Just not worth the time.

Quick Reply: WTF am I doing wrong-pilot bearing removal