Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

This sound like a loose flywheel??!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This sound like a loose flywheel??!!

sounds like theres something loose rattling side to side in my transmission (m6) at idle/stop. i idle at 1100, and when i gas it to 1400 the rattling goes away.

also under deceleration from around 3000-2000 vibration from the transmission

AND hard starting, and an almost "clanking" noise from right under the passenger floorboards while turning off the motor.

ANY INPUT/IDEAS APPRECIATED!!

little history, just had a new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and slave cylinder replaced less than 1000miles ago by aamco.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone????
Old 10-13-2007, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to suspect an issue with the pressure plate. Will the noise change if you depress the clutch pedal at idle? Knowing that the tranny was just out it could also be an exhaust alignment issue.

Call the shop that did the work and tell them nicely that there is a new noise and ask if they can take a look at it. Ask them to check their work. If they are a reputable outfit they will have zero issues looking into it for you.

g
Old 10-16-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
I am going to suspect an issue with the pressure plate. Will the noise change if you depress the clutch pedal at idle? Knowing that the tranny was just out it could also be an exhaust alignment issue.

Call the shop that did the work and tell them nicely that there is a new noise and ask if they can take a look at it. Ask them to check their work. If they are a reputable outfit they will have zero issues looking into it for you.

g
thanx 4 the reply.

i did take it back to the shop, made the mistake of turning the car off and of course the sound would not reproduce itself on the test drive with the tech. now the vibrations seem to be coming at around 2000-3500 rpm during acceleration and deceleration.

oh and the shop did put the car up and the tranny mount was good, and the exhaust was ok.

definately trying to make the sound come back to take it back.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM

One word ....... Aamco

I wouldn't let those morons work on a Kia for me .
Old 10-17-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank u for those sentences of advice.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not agreeing with him but I do find that odd. You have a H/C car yet you take it to a run-of-the-mill auto shop to do a clutch. I know it's not an engine rebuild but still.

As for the noise I am leaning towards the PP also. Did you ask the tech if he used loctite on the bolts? Does the noise get more quiet when you hold the clutch in and turn the car off? You'll probably have to drop the trans to figure anything out anyway.

Quick Reply: This sound like a loose flywheel??!!