Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Did my rear end break my trans when it broke?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did my rear end break my trans when it broke?

Last Sunday my rear end went... Not at a very fast rev, just a casual 1st to 2nd shift... then clack bang **** bang boom... and my rear was gone. Somewhat expected it but not all of a sudden like that. Never the less I just went to drop off my new rear end parts to my car thats in the parking lot of the garage that is going to service it and I figured what the hell, I have the spare keys... I wanna start it... So I did, and engaged the clutch... Now ites either in my head from driving an old 87 Bronco II with a very looong and stiff clutch for the past few days or the clutch seemed to have less pressure on it... And immediately upon trying to slide it into first it proceeded to grind... and even from nothing to second I could mimic the issue here and there... Mixed results. I dont know what just having a broken rear end would have to do with this... As in the rear gets fixed and so does this... But what did I do to my tranny... When it happend I was able to feather the clutch and get it off the road with the rear end limping bad... But never let it bind up, I was feathermatic man... and I was even able to position it for the tow truck. However here and there since I got the car I would be suprised with a normal depress the clutch and grind first situation. and sometimes third while driving... Id say it would happen maybe once while driving a whole day. What is going on? What should I start to buy? I would really like to remedy this quickly!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

I have a feeling I better start working on the lumina like right now... This is gonne be tooo expensive and time consuming... I already have a thousand or so in the new rear end... Time to get the car cover ready and handle this next year : ( goodbye camaro, goodbye for now
Old 10-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Is there really no one out there at all that cares to respond, or has any information to respond with... I know "joe" from six speed inc. browses this board, and I am seriously thinking of having the shop drop the tranny and let me crate it up to send it out there and have it rebuilt. Im just looking for some info before I do anything... The shop already told me they would drop it and let me build a crate for it there, also leaving my car there for the rebuilds duration. So, help me out people... Before it starts snowing!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:14 PM

Sounds like the clutch needs to be bled out .
Old 10-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Really? I have to admit... Id like that to be the problem... Today down at the garage it wouldnt happen again... He is saying it sounds more like a trans issue then a clutch/ Pres Plate issue. And that maybe its a syncro with a bad or missing tooth... like russian rulette... never kno if you'll strike out... But last night it was eery single time... and now it wouldnt happen again... Difference in weather was last night was very moist and rainy... and today it was warm and dry... I dont know what else could be playing a role in this. But since I got the car I would randomly get screwed and with the clutch all the way down Id grind first. Or while shifting for the first time while its still kinda cold 5th would do it... But just once, then it would be ok the rest of the day... What do you think?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Teching In

I had a similar problem with mine a few years ago.
When my 10bolt broke I sheared the teeth right off the ring gear down at the track making a 1/2 shift. I knew instantly the rear was gone and quick pushed in the clutch to get off the track incase of a mess. I did not try to drive at all after that. I towed home and put the car up on jackstands to rebuild. After I was finished with the rear (12 Bolt install) I left it on jackstands to cycle the gears with no load per moser only to find that I had the same grinding effect and while the engine was running if I was to press the clutch in and out I heard rattling which was the springs that broke inside the bell off the clutch disc. The rivets on the disc were barley holding on sometimes letting the clutch engage and sometimes not. I removed the trans and when I removed the bell I found the problem. Pieces of rivets and springs laying in the bottom (This was a spec stage 3). I replaced the clutch, bled master and all was well. What happened is when the teeth broke off the gear the pieces locked the rear up for a split second, so fast I didn't have time to push the clutch in to save its destruction and all the power went back up the driveline and found that the springs and rivets were the next weakest link. My car didn't lock up at the track to my notice but it happenes so fast you might not have realized it. I have a feeling that the problem is not in the trans but in the clutch. These T56's hold a ton of power and abuse. I would surely believe that your clutch would break before the trans. Thats just my experience. I hope this helps. Good luck to you.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

I will tell you what... I couldnt be happier that you left that information here for me, and I really really appreciate it. I have searched and searched for someone or some thread from someone that could virtually reacreate my issue and relate to it. It just seemed like this had to have happened to someone else... But I just couldn't find a trace of it from anyone... Thanks again, I will have them pull the bell housing and look at the clutch... And start shopping for a new one asap just in case this is it!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Just got back from the garage, I guess these vehicles have 3 wheel ABS... The front two differentiate between right and left, and the rear is looked at as one set of wheels... and it pulsates then together. To achieve a reading on the wheel spin there is a ring called a reluctor ring in the rear end, just a hollow ring with teeth. Mine is bad, chewed up from all the metal... Another one cant be there until Monday... So I am on hold again... Oh well though, things are falling into place... Here is a pic of my pinion gear, half of its teeth are completely gone... Ring was just about as bad with every other tooth or so gone or half gone.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dexter
I have a feeling I better start working on the lumina like right now... This is gonne be tooo expensive and time consuming... I already have a thousand or so in the new rear end... Time to get the car cover ready and handle this next year : ( goodbye camaro, goodbye for now
LOL. The lumina. Thats my DD too! 244,874 miles too. Good luck with the camaro
Old 10-20-2007, 06:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is highly possible that damage to the clutch or plate ensued when the axle let go. It is not uncommon at all for that to happen. The drivetrain receives a terrible shock as the axle is griding itself to pieces.

I would definately remove the transmission for inspection of the clutch components at the very least while the car is down.

How does it feel when the engine is not running?

g
Old 10-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Umm, well... When the car is off I can hit every gear just fine... and I have yet to duplicate the grinding issue in the garage. I know when I get it back it will happen again, but the swamped shop I have it at wants to "take it one step at a time" and not even look at the clutch yet... Good people, but I just dont understand, I am going to pay them to do it, and yet... nothing?