Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hey LS1 Techies Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey LS1 Techies Clutch question

I just ordered a new LS7/LS2 clutch and fly wheel set up, I also ordered the slave cylinder, but have not ordered the master yet. Right now my stock clutch sticks to the floor anytime I take off hard in first and I have to use my left foot to pick it back up off the ground this really sucks.

The drill mod and flushing the fluid did not help at all and that is the reason I ordered the kit. Any how my question is for the folks already using this set up, Did anyone notice a really big difference because the fly wheel weighs so much more than the stock one?? Did that slow anyone down a considerable amount like enough to tell?

Thanks for any feed back!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually gained E.T. after my clutch swap.

You'll barely notice the revs being a little slower, but you will definetly notice how much smoother it shifts at higher RPM's. The heavier flywheel helps between shift cause it doesn't slow down as much as a lighter flywheel will.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot Big Mike you answered a lot for me in that one post, really helpful. I want to have this put on in the next week, because I been had it delivered from SDPC it is just sitting in the box waiting to be put on, but the labor is going to be like 300.00 at the shop. I don't work on my own car and I want it done right, because this is a pain when it comes to the m6. Did you get a new master cylinder also? As opposed to the stock one?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Nope, I have 107k on my stocker & it works like a charm. Hell even my pilot bearing was in great shape too. Not sayin this it typical by any means, I might have just got lucky.

The install is very simple. Although several people who have taken them in to get done have had problems with the shops getting them installed correctly without messing with it.

I don't understand how this happens cause we did mine in my buddies driveway without a tranny jack, in the dark with drop lights & half drunk. Didn't have a single issue. It installs exactly like a stock replacment unit.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Teching In

LOL Damn dude you made that sound so damn easy, the half drunk part is the killer, I am taking it to a High Performance Shop in Hawthorne, Ca. The mechanics their build drag cars and race them, and I have a bunch of friends with camaro's that got work done up their and they all say this dude Lonnie knows his stuff, so I will give him a shot and let you know how it turns out.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

How long did it take for you to recieve the clutch after the date of order/purchase? I'm ordering mine from them on friday.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Install Director

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I don't understand how this happens cause we did mine in my buddies driveway without a tranny jack, in the dark with drop lights & half drunk. Didn't have a single issue. It installs exactly like a stock replacment unit.
Not the smartest thing to be doing. It's dangerous enough under the car.

Without a jack is impressive though.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Whats up DJ Sanchez? Well it took like 3 days I believe for the first box to arrive and then the 2nd box arrived on the 4th day, it was real quick I was surprised in the quickness, from the order to the arrival, box is heavy as hell I know that much lol.....
Old 10-17-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey if you can put the clutch disk pressure plate and the flywheel on your bathroom scale and tell us how much it weighs if you wouldnt mind, im plannin on getting one when i do my conversion.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Teching In

^^I will try to do it when I get back home, currently I am out of town for job training, but when I get back I will hook that up no prob.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

7oo miles now on my ls7/ls2 with new slave and pilot setup. 01 bolt on SS. my stock clutch would get soft after 2-3 shift and stick to the floor when i would go for 3-4. bled,,bled,,bled and bled again didnt fix. changed master,, no fix. so i ordered the kit. defintiely a seat of the pants difference for me. car feels like a dog with the heavier setup. my pedal gets soft at 3-4 shift but I still get thru all 6 gears where before 3rd was it. i tried bleeding, new fluid, mity vac. clutch pedal feels weird ( sometimes soft,sometimes feels good) every so often. dont know what to do now.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Teching In

^^Damn dude you just took all the air out of the balloon i was riding on, so basically it didn't really help you at all besides going through all 6 gears now? So what would be your final vote on this? nay i am assuming right? Thats a lot of money spent for the same results as the stock clutch, I hope I have better luck with it......
Old 10-18-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maroboy99z28
^^I will try to do it when I get back home, currently I am out of town for job training, but when I get back I will hook that up no prob.
Sweet thanks dude

Quick Reply: Hey LS1 Techies Clutch question