Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How long should a aftermarket clutch last?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long should a aftermarket clutch last?

I bought a clutch master stage 4 clutch and i had it for 9,000 miles. I feel a lag for the car to pick up now, and its started just about 70 miles ago. before the car would pick up and go as soon as I stepped on the pedal.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:16 PM
FormerVendor

Ultimately clutch wear is dependent on a number of factors. These include the following: flatness of the surfaces used (flywheel specifically), break-in, driving style, weight of the vehicle, capacity of the clutch in regards to the power of the vehicle, and usage (you get the idea).

That being said you should ask yourself the following questions:
What flywheel was being used?
Was the flywheel flat when it was installed?
Was the clutch broken-in properly?
Is the clutch rated to hold the power that my car makes?
Do I excessively slip the clutch when driving?
etc.....

There is really no way to guarantee or even estimate the amount of mileage that a clutch should last because its life is dependent on so many factors. I know that this may not be the answer that you were hoping for but its the truth. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

thanks man, I resurfaced the flywheel, and broke it in for the 500miles.the car is pretty heavy because of the stereo system. Occasional slipping of the clutch. the clutch was rated for 500plus hp, and I have around 432whp. now, the car feels like if it had 330whp I don't know if maybe it could be something else like rings or valve train problems.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 90% of all aftermarket clutch failures is driver related..... but thats just me, helping said friends swap in new clutchs in less then 10k miles.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

I would agree with that statement...although folks with an issue never seem to clearly remember the way they drove the car and treated the clutch "I never got on it...I drive it like a Grandmother"...says the guy with over 600lb.-ft to the wheels. It is best to remember that every action has an equal and opposite reaction (basic physics right) in regards to clutch wear and life in general!!! Lol...
Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a clutchmasters stage 1 in my eclipse and that thing lasted 7 months or so and one time at the track. I broke it in just like reccomended. I believe it had something to do with the installer. I went clutch masters stg 3 the second time and havent had any problems. well other than my hydraulics suck in that car.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I think 90% of all aftermarket clutch failures is driver related..... but thats just me, helping said friends swap in new clutchs in less then 10k miles.

Totally agree.